Thread: Swap to JJP-12HH from Separates?

Swap to JJP-12HH from Separates?

Hello Creekers, I know...this question has been asked so many times. I have poured through all of the previous posts of people going through a similar question to mine. I didn't come across my specific situation so would love to get some feedback from those that may have first hand experience with my situation.

I have a Dewalt DW735x planer with straight knives that I was looking to upgrade to a shelix head so that I don't have to move or swap blades every time the wind blows. Then I got a line on a used Jet JJP-12HH for sale. The catch is I already have a Grizzly G0609X with the byrd shelix head. My thought is it would be nice to save the space with the combo machine but I am afraid I will miss the 84" beds on the Grizzly jointer.

I am in a 24x32 detached garage but I have to share the space with the family mountain bikes, dirt bikes, camping gear, and need the ability to pull in a car every once in a while for some wrenching. All of my equipment save for the table saw and assembly table get moved to the walls when not in use. The combo machine would provide a nice space savings but is not absolutely critical to fit machines.

Thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.

I would get it, but then again I am still waiting for the new JJP-12H I ordered in December from Woodcraft. Current delivery estimate is June. With the market the way that it is, you may be able to turn around and sell it for as much as you bought it for if you do not like it.

Re bed length a rule of thumb I've seen is that a jointer will work well for material 1.5X to 2 X the length of the jointer bed. I have the JJP-12 and the beds are 55". I generally skip plane rough stock then cut to length before flattening/face jointing. Doing that I don't find bed length limiting but I don't do large or long projects. If processing entry door stiles for instance a 55" bed might require additional support. For me getting a 12" jointer and 12" induction motor driven (not a screaming universal motor) planer in a space 2' X 5' was pretty compelling. A high volume shop would not care for the changeover, I don't find it a problem. I do try to do things in batches to minimize the changeovers.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-19-2021 at 9:41 AM.

I can't comment on that particular machine however I have no regrets going to a combination machine about 13 years ago.

Having a 12 inch jointer is really nice, no issue with short beds on the jointer.

I have extensions which I use very rarely, only when jointing stuff more than 8 feet long.

I do keep an extension on the planer outfeed, keeps short pieces from falling on the floor before I can grab them...........Rod.

I went from a Jet 6" jointer and Dewalt 735 to the same sa Rod's A3-31.

Very happy with my decision, the planing is so much nicer and quieter than the Dewalt.

For the Jet, I would just check the availability of extension tables, for the few times you may need one.

You might check the dust collection requirements for the combo you want, against what DC capacity you have, before you replace your existing machines.

That said, the usage footprint (not just that of the machine itself) for both functions of a combo overlap completely, which can actually make working with it easier than same sized separates in a small shop.

I have an A3-41 combo, with which I am extremely pleased.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Thank you all for the input. I went and picked up the machine and it is now sitting in my shop. I read a bunch of threads on the difficulties in setting the machine up so I will be spending some quality time with my straight edge and the beds.

When I get it set up I will run some lumber through it and my separate jointer and planer to see what differences I find in the process and report back.

I would run some material through it before adjusting anything.

No point messing up a machine that may not require any adjustments.....Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I would run some material through it before adjusting anything.

No point messing up a machine that may not require any adjustments.....Regards, Rod
    Excellent advice. More than once I've started out trying to 'make it better' and had a devil of a time just getting it back to where I started. The most critical adjustment IMO is the planer bed. If you're producing boards that are not the same thickness edge to edge the machine is of limited use. Luckily that adjustment is also the most straight forward. My jointer beds were good enough that I figured anything I tried would probably make them worse.