Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not Really Woodworking...but a Fun Little Project

Not Really Woodworking...but a Fun Little Project

My wife has had an old piece of Manzanita Tree for years and it's been driving me crazy. It always seemed to be in the way, but she refused to let me get rid of it. I finally got her to agree to let me use it for "something" if I promised not to ruin it. I was just happy to get the green light to get it out of my way once and for all.

I had some cut-offs of walnut lying around so I came up with what you see below. Did some simple half lap joints to put it together and finished it with a simple oil finish. Although it's not exactly what most of you (or I for that matter) would consider woodworking, the walnut and the Manzanita are in fact wood, so we'll just call it wood art! I actually think it turned out great and we had a perfect spot for it right next to the entertainment center I recently completed. Best of all, I no longer have to deal with the dead tree in my shop and she ended up liking as well and didn't consider it ruined...lol.

Posting just for the fun of it!

20210512_220123.jpg 20210512_220103.jpg 20210512_220113.jpg
    Last edited by David Lageman; 05-18-2021 at 5:27 PM.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Looks real enough to me. It’s a nice little wall hanger. I’m sure your wife could care less the skill level, she just likes it!

Blog Entries
    Nice job, it make a neat decoration.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It's wood and it works for me! Creative stuff!

Darn clever!
    Cheers,

Tim

Thanks all. And yes my bride is very happy, ergo, I'm very happy!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Of course that is wood working. You have an original, one of a kind piece. Nice creative work.

Looks like woodworking to me! Outstanding art installation for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice.

My dad has always like manzanita, and mounted a large piece on the wall with a string of small lights routed behind the branches.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Nice.

My dad has always like manzanita, and mounted a large piece on the wall with a string of small lights routed behind the branches.

Matt
    It's actually pretty interesting stuff. We have another piece my wife mounted in a stone vase years ago that sits on the breakfast bar. It too has lights on it she has on a timer...lol. No lights on my version however!
    A wannabe woodworker!

That's pretty cool! I like the way you separated the branch between the frames. It stirs up one's curiosity.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    That's pretty cool! I like the way you separated the branch between the frames. It stirs up one's curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Nicely done.
    Thank You!
    A wannabe woodworker!

I agree with everyone David . . . very creative and artsy! I think it IS woodworking and . . . super cool ww'ing at that! Good show.
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

As they say: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry