Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly's new South Bend Planer series - first impressions

With that kind of good news, should been pic or two so we can drool

I want to get a 20” helical planer and have checked that one out on grizzly’s site. Good to hear a review. To pay an extra $1000 over their extreme planer seems a bit steep. I give the variable speed a huge plus, but not sure it’s worth $1000.

I guess grizzly has notched up the finish a bit as well. The SB machine looks to be similar to the shop fox 20” helical planer in weight/specs and sits up higher than the grizzly extreme planer. The SB is the only that has the variable speed.

I see shop fox has raised their prices another 200-300 as well on machines. Lots of good choices to pick from. May boil down to what’s in stock when you need it.

I think the fact that this particular model is manufactured in Taiwan is a contributing factor to the superior fit and finish. It has been my personal experience that the Grizzly Taiwan equipment is much better quality than much of their Chinese stuff.
    David

For the $1,050 price difference the South Bend offers...

- oddly shipping is $100 less on the SB
    - SB has a digital height gauge
    - SB has variable feed speed with a lower feed rate available 10fps vs 16fps on the Grizzly
    - SB has leveling feed and a slightly wider footprint
    - SB has an upgraded height handwheel
    - SB has a 2 year warranty vs 1 year on the Grizzly

I would like to know how flat the bed is. I have a G1033X and there's about a .003" hump in the middle. Not a lot but it makes it so the lower infeed roller is flush with the bed while the ends the roller is raised above the bed. It takes slightly more work setting up the lower roller height as you have to get both sides the same and make sure the roller is flush in the center. I would like to think if Grizzly is going after the Powermatic crowd then they would spec name brand bearings and to have it machined to a tighter spec (as I assume their metal tools are).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I mean no offense to the OP, but $4200 for a 20” 4 post planer? What does the extra $1k get you over the Grizzly version?

I’m any case, congrats on the new machine. Glad it got in the shop safely, enjoy it!
    The extra grand gets you the South Bend name stuck on a Grizzly machine.......

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Crout View Post
    The extra grand gets you the South Bend name stuck on a Grizzly machine.......
    I'd suggest you reread the OPs initial post. He stresses that the fit and finish are far better than any other Grizzly machine in his shop. Maybe, the company through the brand name South Bend is going to have a better quality product line.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grizzly wasn’t kidding about price increases. Overnight they raised the SB up another $500. It’s now pushing 5k

9. Yeah with shipping which also increased $100 its now $4,994.

Maybe I missed it but what country is the planer made in? Other than the digital gauge, a quick look doesn't pick up any major difference between it and the Shop Fox for example.

The South Bend SB1109 to which the OP refers lists Taiwan as the country of origin. The SB1109 has a second, separate feed motor and it's feed rate is variable from 10-28 FPM where as it's equivalent Grizzly or Shop Fox has 2 speed feed rates of 16 or 28 FPM. There are some mechanical differences in weight and foot print size. The OP says his new SB1109 has a much better fit and finish than his Grizzly machines in his shop.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-22-2021 at 12:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Yeah with shipping which also increased $100 its now $4,994.
    Now I'm REALLY glad I bought when I did. Sometimes being impulsive pays off, I guess.

Yeah Brad-I’m more than slightly jealous. I’ve had mine on order since February 16, but it has to ship to Alaska from their Washington location ☹️

So where was it made?

The SB line is made in Taiwan. Everything else by Grizzly was raised as well. But it seems the SB line had the highest price increase. Now there’s a ~$1300 price difference between the 20” Extreme planer and the SB. Grizzly's other machines are back ordered so long, it could be they can get more people to pay up for the South Bend. As a new product line, maybe the expenses for the steel and other materials are having to be sourced at new higher prices. That does make it one of the most expensive 20” planers on the market.