Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this Rosewood?

No matter what it is, if the price is good, I'd buy it. Bloodwood is pretty heavy, much heavier than most other woods.

My first impression was also bubinga.

If you can't figure out what is it, call it "wonder wood" - I wonder what it is.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Not bloodwood. I have some bloodwood and that is not it.
    I have a couple pieces of bubinga and it is a close match. Also bubinga is referred to as African “rosewood” which may be why the seller referred to it as rosewood.
    I have a collection of over 90 species of wood and it hits closer to bubinga.
    Last edited by Rob Damon; 05-19-2021 at 12:51 PM.

Bing says, “Yess...bub,bub, binga !” I’ve found people don’t like the name ,and it certainly can not compete with “rosewood” .

Bubinga, great name!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    ...I’ve found people don’t like the name ,and it certainly can not compete with “rosewood” .
    Had visitors a few years ago and while making a custom "magic" wand for a young lad his mother was looking at pieces of wood. She picked up a piece of Bubinga and when I told her what it was she said that might be a good name for an animal. Yes! I loved it and immediately named my new 1-month-old llama Bubinga, The name kind of rolls off the tongue with a ring, imagine a sing-song Bub-BING-ga. I do sometimes call him BubBub (but NEVER Bubba!) I don't think calling him "Rosewood" would have the same ring.

llama_little_girl_IMG_20130.jpg

Bubinga is my best "PR" llama, gentle, intelligent, and well behaved. He's been to numerous events: schools, churches, nursing homes, Christmas parades, and charity fund raisers. He has been in several TV commercials both in the studio and outdoors:

llama_race_commercial.jpg

JKJ

I’ve got a guy out here in WA that sells that stuff. In certain parts of Asia they use it for pallets and he somehow got a massive supply of it many years ago. The stuff is hard as nails, the wavy grain is hell on knives and tears out like crazy. Pretty stuff once you figure out how to work on it.

Ben’s comment applies to many imported goods. In South Africa the natives have never found diamonds real useful. But I remember reading
    that the natives were glad to be employed in finding them . They would walk shoulder to shoulder ,each employee wearing a rope around
    neck holding a bucket. When one of them saw a diamond the line would halt for the stone to be picked and bucketed. A grade school memory
    of mine.