Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Rosewood?

Is this Rosewood?

So, I might be in a "you suck" situation, but I'm not sure.

There's a store about to go out of business near by and a friend is the store's lawyer. I took a look and there was a pile of lumber that the owner told me was Rosewood and he gave me a good enough price that it was worth it to take even if it wasn't. I took about 60 board feet but there's more left. Is this Rosewood, and if so, any idea what kind? The owner told me that it was very hard and very heavy, makes a pink dust when cut and that I neded to be sure to wear a mask. The pictures I took were both in daylight and inside so the colors may not be true. I wet the wood in the last two pictures and the last picture shows the end grain. Thanks for any help.

David

r1.jpgr2.jpgr3.jpgr4.jpg

Hard to say for sure, but looks a lot like Bubinga to me.

Need a better (clean cut) shot of the end grain but could be east Indian Rosewood. Agree with Gustav at least the figured piece is something Bubinga is known for.

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post
    Hard to say for sure, but looks a lot like Bubinga to me.
    You beat me to it...that was my immediate thought!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for Bubinga here
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

I’m seriously allergic to Bubinga. Your friend was wise to suggest a mask until you find out if your sensitive to the wood.
    Aj

Looking at pictures on the net, I think you guys might be right. The wood was on an upper level in a dark back corner, only accessible with a ladder, probably sitting there for over 30 years. It was marked Rosewood.

But now, my friend told me he just talked to the owner again. Now the owner said that he thinks that it's Bloodwood. Looking at pictures on the net, I suppose that's possible, too. Does it matter?

Took a couple more pictures at home on the garage floor. They're overlapping so you can't see the full width (between 12-18"), and they're about 9' long. The board on the left looks different than the others. More brown and different grain. I'm going to go along with Bubinga, at least for all but the one on the left. The paper was there to help set the white balance.

Whatever it is, I like it. I may go get some more.

r6.jpg

r7.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    Took a couple more pictures at home on the garage floor. They're overlapping so you can't see the full width (between 12-18"), and they're about 9' long. The board on the left looks different than the others. More brown and different grain. I'm going to go along with Bubinga, at least for all but the one on the left. The paper was there to help set the white balance.

r6.jpg

r7.jpg
    This is one of the best web sites I know to see the wide variation in colors and figure in various woods. This is the page for Bubinga if you want to check:
    http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/bubinga.htm

Best to use a razor blade on the end grain and look at it with a microscope. Section 7 on this page has instructions:
    https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/
    You can also send a sample to the US gov lab for free id - details at the bottom of the page.

Another thing which can eliminate some candidates: cut a piece, measure carefully, and weigh. If the density is significantly different from the reported density of a candidate wood, consider looking at other possibilities.

Best thing, if you can, is to show some pieces to someone with experience in various species. The color, look of the grain, the feel, and even the smell can help with the ID.

JKJ

If the price is right I'd take it all home and figure it out later. Looks pretty whatever it is!

Hoadley's "Identifying Wood" is my go-to resource.

(this attitude may explain the size of my wood pile)

Thank you, John. Hobbit house is an outstanding resource. Looking at their examples, I’m more convinced that I have Bubinga.

Roger, the price was under $5/board foot. I should get more, I think, but I too am building a wood pile that I don’t know when I’ll get through.

Thank you, John. Hobbit house is an outstanding resource. Looking at their examples, I’m more convinced that I have Bubinga.

Roger, the price was under $5/board foot. I should get more, I think, but I too am building a wood pile that I don’t know when I’ll get through.
    If it's Bubinga that's a good price. Most want over $15 per bd ft, higher if it's thicker than 4/4. It's getting harder to find too.

r6.jpg

r7.jpg
    I would say the brown board on the left is also Bubinga, but that one is flat cut and has been exposed to the sun for a number of decades so the color has faded from the surface. I'm guessing it'll be pink-ish when you plane the face down a bit.
    The board on the far right under that paper kind of looks like Makore. Somewhat similar to the figure of Bubinga, but generally a nice medium brown color.
    But it could also be more Bubinga that has oxidized a bit.

If I had the opportunity to buy Bubinga of that quality and dimensions for $5 bucks a board foot, I'd most definitely buy everything he has.
    Some things only come around once ..... this is one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I’m seriously allergic to Bubinga. Your friend was wise to suggest a mask until you find out if your sensitive to the wood.
    Ditto...I did exactly one project with it and will never use it again, despite my admiration of its beauty.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Gabor View Post
    I would say the brown board on the left is also Bubinga, but that one is flat cut and has been exposed to the sun for a number of decades so the color has faded from the surface. I'm guessing it'll be pink-ish when you plane the face down a bit.
    The board on the far right under that paper kind of looks like Makore. Somewhat similar to the figure of Bubinga, but generally a nice medium brown color.
    But it could also be more Bubinga that has oxidized a bit.

If I had the opportunity to buy Bubinga of that quality and dimensions for $5 bucks a board foot, I'd most definitely buy everything he has.
    Some things only come around once ..... this is one of them.
    Second this. I think Bubinga made it onto the CITES list, which will make it harder to acquire. Im selling air dried walnut for $5 bdft right now, 8+" wide figured bubinga is easily 2-4x what hes asking. Go buy it all, and if you arent going to use it then sell it to someone who will for $10 bdft.