Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why not Wen?

Need to correct something. In my post I stated the Ryobi spindle sander is the only Made in China tool I own. I completely forgot about my Dewalt DW735 Planer, which I just used. Made in China and generally regarded as the best bench top planer.

I have a wen drill press. I've pushed it pretty hard and it is fine. Especially for the money

You can't make machinery cheap without compromising something. Quite a few beginning woodturners have snapped the post off their Wen lathe tool posts. The grain size in the casting is gigantic. So they've proven to have cheap castings. Next I'm curious if they use a lower class of bearings. What China has done for decades is make the item look identical, but scratch the surface and you get a real understanding. I retired from Caterpillar. We couldn't come close to the price of Chinese excavators. What we found was that the contractors didn't want cabs or technology. They wanted machines that were what we made in the 50s. If major parts broke, they just bought a new machine. So they didn't want longevity either. So if you don't want higher quality nor longevity, then Wen could be the tool company for you. Personally I am way past buying only on price.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    So if you don't want higher quality nor longevity, then Wen could be the tool company for you. Personally I am way past buying only on price.
    This is a false dichotomy. For me the choice was "don't have a drill press" and "have a budget drill press". I bought it knowing there were compromises, and like I said, if it craps out after a few years I'll be neither surprised or upset. But I'll be in a position to replace it with something better, so I won't care.

Of course I "want" quality and longevity. The degree to which I can afford it varies at any given time, but certainly must be nice for other's that don't have that consideration. "Buy once, cry once" is always catchy, but I'd argue it oversimplifies the decision.

The Delta equivalent of the OSS Ole posted about (I think it was called the BOSS) from about 15 years ago also had plastic drive gears. I had an issue finding a replacement gear even then.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    . . . If it is simple product that will not be used alot or hard why not save money
    This is good advice, especially for hobbyists. Value is subjective, and the best tool for you may be different than for me, based on how much you will use it vs the cost.

I think Wen is only a brand name, and bears no particular significance to the quality of the tool. I have that same OSS, except its a different color and haas the Triton name on it. I have seen (and looked over for differences) the same OSS being sold as WoodRiver, Central Machinery (HF), and at least one other brand name. It isn't the best quality, but for the 2-3 times a year I use it, it was worth it.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I have a WEN mini lathe, my first lathe that I used to get into pen making. It's been working superbly for over 3 years now, well worth the $150 or so I paid for it. Of course, it has limitations in terms of size and features, but you can work around those.

I would really like to try a WEN drum sander next, although my next lathe will probably be a JET.

Well - I pulled the trigger on the Wen 4214 benchtop drill press.

2/3 hp with variable speed (580 to 3200 RPM) & 3 1/8" quill travel.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I got the Wen 4212 drill press a couple years ago as a recommended birthday gift from my wife. Looking at it compared the similar model Jet drill press other than the Jet being 2 inches tall, it is the same thing spec wise, looks the same, and cost half the price and I have zero issues with mine.

I have been on this woodworking journey now for the past 23 years, started out "lusting" over the tools presented every Saturday morning on New Yankee workshop and dreaming along with my father of the day when I could have a shop like that of my own. After buying my first house and finally having enough space that I could dedicate to a woodworking shop I decided to work a second job (what I like to call a side hustle) and dedicate all of that money made to buying tools for my shop. I had nothing at the time and started with the major 3 - tablesaw, jointer, planer all from Grizzly because that is what I could afford. Slowly I kept adding new tools to the "collection" mostly from Grizzly because that is what I could afford and based on cost vs value it was a good deal in my mind. Now many years later I have confirmed that woodworking will always be a part of my life, and I am in a much different place financially, I have started to replace many of the original tools with more high end versions with names like Festool, Nova, Laguna, woodpecker, Lie Nielsen, veritas and even some updated grizzly tools as well. The original tools I bought have sentimental value to me and to be honest worked just fine - but my time in the shop is limited and I get personal enjoyment from working with the best tools my wallet can afford. I am still in some ways chasing that same dream shop I did when I was watching NYWS with my dad back in the days. The only WISH I have now is that my Dad would have lived long enough for him to see the house I bought and the workshop I built - I hope he is looking down on me as I am working in the shop these days because I can for sure tell you I am more often than not talking to him while I am working these tools.

What may you ask does this have to do with WEN tool - well even though I have an entire arsenal of festool and other high end tools now, JUST LAST WEEK I found myself in need of pneumatic stapler (t50 style) and after some research decided on a $27 WEN version from Amazon. I had the chance to use it this past weekend and MAN that thing rocks. I was super impressed by the fit and finish, packaging, and function of the tool. So in the end buy what you can afford after doing your research and use it until you decide to dedicate more of your hard earned money on another brand or model. I have come full circle and still I find myself going back to the basics entry level tools if that is what I can afford at the time.
    Last edited by Tom DiBiasio; 05-20-2021 at 9:37 AM.

Life is about compromise. Most people who buy Grizzly (me included) either can't or don't want to pay for the "top tier" brands. Wen looks like they get their stuff from the same factories in China. Chances are they use Chinese bearings and aren't machined to the standards some here demand. But for most of us it doesn't matter. I routinely buy tools from Harbor Freight simply because it's either that or nothing. I don't own any Wen tools but that's simply because I haven't needed anything they sell.

I can remember a time when owning lots tools was not something that most hobbyist did. If you did it was a Sears table saw, not a Powermatic cabinet saw. Then came a time when entry level tools started getting cheaper. Black and Decker most of sold a boat load of those 3/8" drills with the short 1' cord. They were cheap and reliable. I suspect that as long as your expectations are within reason Wen tools will be up to the task.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    ... Black and Decker most of sold a boat load of those 3/8" drills with the short 1' cord. They were cheap and reliable. ...
    I just dropped one of those at the local ReStore. Still going strong. (Unlike a DeWalt & a Milwaukee with dead discontinued batteries!)

Been doing a spring cleaning of the garage (aka California basement) and was amused to unbury a couple B&D "Best" tools, one stored in a box with it's Gemco price tag. (I'd have more space if I'd clean more often. )

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I just dropped one of those at the local ReStore. Still going strong. (Unlike a DeWalt & a Milwaukee with dead discontinued batteries!)

Been doing a spring cleaning of the garage (aka California basement) and was amused to unbury a couple B&D "Best" tools, one stored in a box with it's Gemco price tag. (I'd have more space if I'd clean more often. )
    Clean??? You just need more room to store stuff, lol. I have a very old all aluminum B&D 3/4" drill that's huge that my father got from who knows where. I figured it was worth keeping as wall art. Besides the whole point of life it to collect stuff so someone else has to clean it all up when you die, isn't it?

Any GRADUATE reference is worth the read.

sm

I have an WEN 1/2 inch reversible drill that's got to be at least 30 years old. It was a gift from my wife, way back when we were dating in the late 80's. It's big. It's slow. It's real ugly. But it's got torque to spare and has stood up to years of use and occasional abuse when I needed mix paint, mortar or thick adhesive in 5 gallon buckets.