Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music in the Shop

Music in the Shop

Do you listen to music in your wood shop ?
    What do you use for a music player ?

I like to listen to music most of the time. I use a PC for my music provider, a small amp and some home made speakers.
    A couple different radio stations and a lot of my cd's ripped to my PC.

I am thinking about rearranging my shop and wondering if there was something better that a PC for a music player.

I use an iPad to stream Tidal to my repurposed Home Theatre receiver and B&W speakers. Not the last word in HiFi but great for my purposes. I also have a PC with many ripped CD’s in the house but never felt the need to get access from the shop.

I stream to a 2 channel setup in my shop.. using old home speakers mounted on the walls. The only issue with a PC is the dust, then again.. it's an issue with the amplifier too.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I have a 300 CD player on random, 4 big old school speakers mounted high on the walls. Quite an eclectic collection from Artie Shaw to ZZ Top. GOTTA LOVE THE MUSIC!

Blog Entries
    I’m a lot like Kevin but have a few days of CD’s on a hard drive that I set on random. System is an old receiver and home speakers. Currently I have an old laptop with a small unix operating system to run the drive in my temporary shop. Later it will just hang off my shop computer.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-18-2021 at 10:54 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Do you listen to music in your wood shop ?
    What do you use for a music player ?

I like to listen to music most of the time. I use a PC for my music provider, a small amp and some home made speakers.
    A couple different radio stations and a lot of my cd's ripped to my PC.

I am thinking about rearranging my shop and wondering if there was something better that a PC for a music player.
    Anker Soundcore 2 from the smartphone via Bluetooth. Can't beat the price at around $40.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Soundco...dp/B01MTB55WH/

I always have music on in the shop. I have a shelf system that I bought at Montgomery-Wards probably 30 years ago. I use an Apple iTouch for the jukebox and WI-fi music streaming. One of these days I’ll upgrade it to something a little smaller in size. There’s a lot of different options available today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yes, I stream WXPN.ORG in my shop via Alexa to a re-purposed, older Nakamichi "shelf" system that also has a subwoofer...at least in the shop I'm leaving and the temporary shop at our new property. When I get a building up, I'll still be streaming using that method, but will move up to our old Onkyo home theater receiver to power the system and some Soundolier speakers that were originally designed to work in a dropped ceiling. (something I got from an old employer when we shut down a conference center) The Onkyo subwoofer will also be used. I'll run the system in mono to maintain even sound throughout that larger space...it's background and doesn't need to have a stereo sound field.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I loaded several hundred CDs on the computer in the shop office. This gives me thousands of songs to pick from. When I listen I randomize the song list and hear things I may not have specifically picked for a year or more.
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 05-18-2021 at 9:57 AM. Reason: typo

I have my old stereo setup if I want to crank things up, but mostly I have one of these JBL Flip 5 cordless speaker things https://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/JBL+FLIP+5-.html that bluetooth to the music on my phone. You can pick it up and move around the shop with it or even take outside. Regular old radio for ballgames.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I just use a bluetooth Dewalt jobsite radio linked to my phone. I like that it mutes the music automatically when the phone rings, I hate that the phone rings and stops the music. Hard to please I guess.

I've got my old iMac hooked via HDMI to an old Panasonic flat screen hooked to an old sound bar my father in law gave us. It works well enough and didn't cost anything extra as it is all stuff that is essentially one step ahead of the recycling center.

I have an old Panasonic bookshelf stereo with a broken CD player. That's OK though, because it has "aux in" RCA jacks. I have an old Apple AirPort 1st gen (ebay) with a "line out." I stream music to the AirPort from my iPhone over Wi-Fi. You can do the same thing with an Android phone, just replace the AirPort with a Chromecast Audio.

My little stereo still has plenty of punch; when I remodeled my garage I ran the speaker wire through the walls and put the speakers up high on the wall. Plays as loud as I want.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 05-17-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Though I don't very often play music in the shop, I have it equipped with a Denon CD changer running through a Denon surround sound receiver to large KLH and Boston Acoustics speakers and a Klipsh (?) subwoofer.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I'm currently using an old Dell preamped computer sound system w/sub, with the signal coming via Echo dot. Sound quality is very satisfying, and the selections are extensive, with playlist options.