Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Music in the Shop

After reading all these posts about Streaming I-pads & Eco-dots, I really feel antiquated now!

But to be honest I never got into all that smart phone & social media stuff, No Facebook/Twitter/Snap-Chat for me!
    I just have an old flip phone in the glove box incase my vehicle breaks down.

For music in the garage I just have a old 70's era clock radio that doesn't really work that well, Only gets a few channels that come in good. I would like to pick-up a small stereo receiver & a couple of book-shelf speakers though.

Doug

Doug, streaming is "just another content source" and no different than using recorded media like CD or others as well as the radio. The advantage over the latter is that assuming a reasonably good Internet connection, streaming tends to provide excellent sound quality. (HD FM radio is actually pretty good in that respect) Streaming also gives access to music sources that you can't pull in "over the air" locally. I'll refer to my back and forth with Glenn up above about WXPN.ORG in that respect.

You may be able to find a decent "shelf system" second hand that would meet the needs you state in your last paragraph. Check all the usual suspect sources for used stuff as well as local charity retail operations that take donations that include electronic gear. Once you have that in your shop, most of those systems have an AUX input so if you decide you'd like to try streaming and have Internet access available, you can get an inexpensive device to do that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mackie powered Bluetooth monitors with iTunes playlists on phone. Rock, jazz, country, show tunes, whatever list I’m in the mood for that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Streaming also gives access to music sources that you can't pull in "over the air" locally.
    That would be good since most the stations I listen to play the same songs over & over which can get a little annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may be able to find a decent "shelf system" second hand that would meet the needs you state in your last paragraph. Check all the usual suspect sources for used stuff as well as local charity retail operations that take donations that include electronic gear.
    Yeah I've been checking around locally, But I really haven't found anything at a good price or small enough for my needs.

I've seen some old solid state Radio Shack receivers on E-Bay that would work good for me, But once they put the word 'Vintage" in the description I think they believe it's a antique.

Doug

Vintage audio is a big market these days.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I listen to OTA Radio on an old Boom Box, or stream Sirius/XM from my phone to a Bose Soundlink Mini.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Walls View Post
    That would be good since most the stations I listen to play the same songs over & over which can get a little annoying.
    This has been the primary reason that I moved to non-commercial radio decades ago. WXPN.ORG that I mentioned (and that I support financially) covers so much ground and when a new release gets repeated, it's tasteful and for good reason. Commercial radio's playlists are governed by money. Non-commercial radio playlists are governed by what listeners want to hear and more.

Yeah I've been checking around locally, But I really haven't found anything at a good price or small enough for my needs.

I've seen some old solid state Radio Shack receivers on E-Bay that would work good for me, But once they put the word 'Vintage" in the description I think they believe it's a antique.

Doug
    If you don't find anything in reasonable time, let me know. I have a small shelf system (Sony I think) "almost like new" that I'm temporarily using in my temporary shop here at the new property that will be "redundant" when I move over the gear from my old shop shortly...I haven't done that yet so I would have tunes while packing up/cleaning out. I'm sure we can work something out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just use my Airpod Pro's these days. Stream music/podcasts/etc. from the phone. They work fine under muffs, too. Our garage shares a common driveway with the neighbor's backyard and I have to crank the music up pretty loud to hear anything over tools. So, I guess out of respect, I just use the airpods. The neighbors suffer enough when the compressor kicks in.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have a very simple system in the workshop: Tannoy bookshelf speakers and Cambridge Audio amp fed by an old iPhone. The source is either mp3 files or streamed Internet radio (access to jazz and blues stations around the globe). I have recently discovered the world of high resolution streaming, so will at some stage incorporate this.

It is all tucked out of the dust in a cabinet ...

The music fades away with ear protection when power machines are in use. It comes into its own with hand tool use, but still is in the background. Great jazz is sympathetic with this.

Regards from Perth

Derek