Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music in the Shop

I have an old yardsale stereo receiver hooked up to some outdoor speakers from my old house. I have a bluetooth receiver (https://www.amazon.com/Esinkin-Wirel.../dp/B07FZ3G7SC) that allows me to stream music or podcasts to the receiver from my phone As a bonus, my ringtone and notification sounds also play through the speakers so I can hear them even with power tools on.

I don't listen to music when using power tools for the most part - too distracting. For cleaning, organizing, tool maintenance, household projects, puttering, etc., I love music in the shop.

I have a receiver/amp in the shop. Use a Sconse FM transmitter from Walmart to hook up either computer, or Malt Shop Oldies on DirectTV to shop. When running machines, I use my Work Tunes, but they don't pick up signal from house, so I plug another transmitter into head phone jack of receiver. It's set to a different frequency that house transmitters. Speakers are Radio Shack 4" book shelf units with a wired thru sub woofer. For CD's, I use either a five disk changer, or my old Sony Walkman. Transmitters, and Work Tunes use rechargable batteries from HF. Get 24-40 hours play time before recharge.

I use a set of Bose earbuds with noise canceling and my iPhone in my shop, lawnmower and tractor. For the quiet times I have an older Bose Sound Dock with an iPod attached. It's rare these days but when I use my planner I put a headset over the earbuds to reduce the noise to almost zero.

I have two Sonos Play:1's (up high left and right) and a Sonos Beam down low in the middle. I stream spotify, podcasts, etc controlled on my phone. The Sonos app balances the sound between them so it sounds great all over the shop.

I tend to like this setup for safety, when my machines are on I have ear protection in and just let it drown out the music. If its a podcast or movie I pause it if at a machine.

IMG_6580.jpeg

I'll add that using noise cancelling earbuds made it so that I couldn't tell if my Hammer A3-41 was on if the dust collector was still running. Not safe in jointer mode.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Etto View Post
    On the topic of music, are there any protective earplug or headphones suitable fr the shop, with decent quality audio and bluetooth?
    I use Worktunes tuned to npr. When it’s quiet, I have an old receiver and some thrift shop speakers. Again tuned to npr.
    I would get the Bluetooth Worktunes but I’m waiting for a very specific feature set:
    - I pair the Worktunes to my phone
    - I listen to npr in fm mode
    - when there’s an incoming call, I want the Worktunes to give me an audible alert. Presently, I’m told that the fm volume would drop. That’s not good enough.

7. Computer into pair of Mackie CR8-XBT 8 inch Multimedia Monitors with Bluetooth

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    I like my worktunes headphones: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723CYHPZ

The sound quality is quite good - they're not Bose, but plenty good enough for me, and the noise reduction is sufficient for most things. Good battery life, too.

I also wear them when mowing the lawn - even with the noise reduction I can hear enough of what's going on with the mower to be safe.
    I second this. I use them over my powercap respirator. Works great with music streamed from a cheap tablet and a big flash drive.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I second this. I use them over my powercap respirator. Works great with music streamed from a cheap tablet and a big flash drive.
    Is there enough noise reduction to make them useful for noise environments as loud as a big chainsaw, big diesel mower, and skid steer?

I have music on at a low level. I can hear it when designing, using hand tools, etc.

When using power tools I can't hear it, so it's not distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Is there enough noise reduction to make them useful for noise environments as loud as a big chainsaw, big diesel mower, and skid steer?
    Yes. I use with table saw or router, and in-room 2HP dust collector. Together, these are very loud and their sound is barely discernable with music playing. I have to watch it with the bandsaw. I cannot hear it at all. Anytime the dust collector is running I have them on. I've also used them with my diesel tractor. Work great there too, even without music.

Yes. I use with table saw or router, and in-room 2HP dust collector. Together, these are very loud and their sound is barely discernable with music playing. I have to watch it with the bandsaw. I cannot hear it at all. Anytime the dust collector is running I have them on. I've also used them with my diesel tractor. Work great there too, even without music.
    Thanks. Seems like it might be useful when on the zero turn mower or bobcat, both of which are loud enough to require hearing protection and don't normally take much concentration.
    I see 3M has a model with an FM radio as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146A4SWA
    I put a radio in the cab of my excavator and I like to listen to NPR while mindlessly digging in the dirt here on the farm. I think I'd be afraid of the distraction when working with powered things that cut.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thanks. Seems like it might be useful when on the zero turn mower or bobcat, both of which are loud enough to require hearing protection and don't normally take much concentration.
    I see 3M has a model with an FM radio as well. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0146A4SWA
    I put a radio in the cab of my excavator and I like to listen to NPR while mindlessly digging in the dirt here on the farm. I think I'd be afraid of the distraction when working with powered things that cut.
    John,
    I use these while mowing. They have an excellent FM receiver.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have blue tooth ear muffs connected to Sirius XM radio. I only use them when I need hearing protection. The rest of the time it's speakers and an amp.

It's different not being able to hear machines running. I can hear big knife machines, like a planer and jointer, but the saws are pretty much not audible. I put lights on the dust collectors, so I know if they are running. I don't need to know if a machine is running or not in order to not stick my hands in it. Seeing a kid do that with a 24" planer was one of my first lessons in woodworking.

The improvement in sound over an amplifier and eight speakers is great. Woodworking has improved so much in 35 years. When I started, it was Other People's Boom Boxes playing Top 40 Classic Rock. Now, I have Blue Tooth Ear muffs, the Grateful Dead concerts at noon and 9 pm, and legal weed. And I can barely hear the shaper.

John,
    I use these while mowing. They have an excellent FM receiver.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks.

I have several Howard Leight products and they work well. I have three of their powered hearing protection muffs which instantly cut off loud sounds in the shop, shooting, etc. As a bonus I can crank up the volume when needed - I sometimes use them around the farm when hunting down chicken-killing varmints at night.

JKJ