Thread: Lakeside R5 (Jack plane)

Lakeside R5 (Jack plane)

Throwing it out to the creek. WTB a Lakeside R5 frog or even more if you have a plane that is good for parts. This frog has a solid face and I am not sure but I think this frog is specific to the R5. Tried eBay and other usual tool haunts with no luck. Mods if I posted this in the wrong place let me know where it belongs.

Blog Entries
    Ralph, the only place it would be more appropriate is in the SMC Classifieds. Here might be as good.

Can you post a picture of the frog you are looking to find or the plane base on which it mounts? A #5 size Lakeside of mine was given away years ago. It appeared to be made by Stanley. From the images online it looks like a Stanley type 10 or later frog would work.

Also from online sources say Union also branded some of their X series planes "Lakeside."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

thanx for the reply Jim. I'll move it to the classifieds and I didn't think of the Lakeside being done by Union. I knew that Stanley and Sargent made them but not Union. I'll search my haunts for a Union #5.

Do you have a picture of the frog by chance? I have several no 5 sizes laying around the shop.

Blog Entries
    I knew that Stanley and Sargent made them but not Union. I'll search my haunts for a Union #5.
    That came from the Timetestedtools site.

Union Plane MFG was purchased by Stanley around 1920.

Does your plane have a broken frog? An image of either the broken frog or the plane's base showing the frog mounting area would help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Hi Jason
    I tried to post pics here but for some reason I can't. If you look at my blog post for today I have pics of it there. accidentalwoodworker at blogspot dot com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Hi Jason
    I tried to post pics here but for some reason I can't. If you look at my blog post for today I have pics of it there. accidentalwoodworker at blogspot dot com
    The file(s) may be too big for SMC to handle. Your photo software may be able to shrink the file size of jpegs.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Hi Jason
    That looks like a hybrid mount between type 8 & type 9 with an extra hump included.

You may need to grind the hump down with a Dremel or a drill mounted stone.

jtk

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Had a family emergency earlier this week. I was able to get in the shop and look at my frogs. I have two Stanley's which it looks like you have tried already and I have one from a Dunlap I believe. It looks a little different than the one you have. I can send some pictures tomorrow

Speaking of Union, has anyone received an update on the new Union planes? With the established tool makers floundering a bit at this time, is this an opportunity or a curse for Union?