Thread: create a component in vcarve pro

create a component in vcarve pro

It's me again, seems like I,m a perpetual newbie here. I have a panel to try to replicate with a raised floral design, so i need to turn that into a component in order to pocket around it so as to achieve a raised appearance. I'm running VCarve pro and have a trial version of Aspire. Any help? Thanks in advance.
    Trotec Speedy 400/80
    Camaster Stinger II CNC Router

You just need to do a s trace to get a vector boundary you can use. Depending on the component, you may be able to use the automated tool to trace the associated bitmap image or you may need to do a manual trace. The latter is generally the most accurate but can also be time consuming for the node editing. I have actually done what you are contemplating many times. Most of the time it's been smaller things on boxes, etc., but here's an example of a door panel:

Do keep in mind that you may need to finesse the edges with some offsets and other toolpath manipulations to minimize any hand-adjusting after cutting. These kinds of jobs often should be cut from inexpensive materials before final commitment to the "good stuff".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Also the Design and Make website, part of Vectric has pre-made 3D art you can purchase that might work for you. https://store.designandmake.com/
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Boatner View Post
    It's me again, seems like I,m a perpetual newbie here. I have a panel to try to replicate with a raised floral design, so i need to turn that into a component in order to pocket around it so as to achieve a raised appearance. I'm running VCarve pro and have a trial version of Aspire. Any help? Thanks in advance.
    Mark Lindsay's videos are pretty thorough. He may not be the most dynamic speaker around but he gets the job done.

In particular this one covers 3d models and the zero plane. He as a few more covering the zero plane which helps do what you are asking about. This video also has the model sitting down in a bowl. But if you skip over that you should get the general idea.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq_R...index=18&t=16s

His whole Vectric software how-to playlist is:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5emp1D4_Tm774p

And there is an official Vectric tutorial on this same topic on the Vectric YouTube channel.

Finally, consider applying the carving instead of taking the whole background down. That's a lot of extra milling and sanding and whatnot. It may be that if you orient your carving blank grain the same as the panel grain and just cut out the ornament for gluing it would be faster.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Thanks all, I will be hitting it again tomorrow and will let you know how it turns out.