Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Lawn Mowers

My cordless drills are all Makita, but the lawnmower doesn’t really get the great reviews that the Ego and Greenworks get. I’d love to get a bunch of new batteries for my drills, but it’s not worth it. Ego gets best mulching for most all reviews.

And these aren’t anything like corded electric mowers from the 70’s.

Ryobi makes a zero turn mower ride on all electric mower. GE made electric lawn tractors in the 1970's. They used car batteries which are still avaiable everywhere. Will your mower battery exist in 3 years when you need a new one?
    Bill D

I have the Kobalt 80 watt self propelled mower and like how nice it is to go out and just mow. No gas and no stinky fumes.

I forget who but they make a solar powered lawn mower similar to a romba vacuum. It lives in a solar doghouse where it charges up during the day. Once it is charged it randomly? mows the lawn until it needs to charge again.
    Bill D

I relented and went with the EGO 7.5AH 21" self propelled (latest generation), pick it up this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I relented and went with the EGO 7.5AH 21" self propelled (latest generation), pick it up this afternoon.
    The LM2135SP? I’m probably getting that one too this afternoon. What price did you get it for?

$599 + tax from Ace hardware

$599 + tax from Ace hardware
    Gotcha, that’s where I am going to buy from too.

I signed up for Ace rewards( free to do), got $50 off at checkout. Paid online, last night, and picked up this morning. Good email communication from Ace.

I also broke down and bought the 650CFM blower. My wife is always asking me to blow off the patio and deck, but she cannot start my two stroke blower. Now she has no excuse not to use the electric blower as long as i keep to charged.

In that same vein, I might be in the market for a new blower and string trimmer. Which battery option does anyone recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Which battery option does anyone recommend?
    Are you talking brand or power?

These batteries are quite large, so this isn't something you'll be swapping with hand drills, etc..

So I think it's a matter of picking the system/brand and sticking with it.

I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 05-19-2021 at 6:14 PM.

Are you talking brand or power?

These batteries are quite large, so this isn't something you'll be swapping with hand drills, etc..

So I think it's a matter of picking the system/brand and sticking with it.

I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.
    Sorry., yeah, I meant brand recommendations.
    I'm not necessarily partial to anything, but pretty happy with Makita in other areas.

In that same vein, I might be in the market for a new blower and string trimmer. Which battery option does anyone recommend?
    I really like my Milwaukee M18 string trimmer. Lots of power (don’t underestimate it, wear protection.)

I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I really like my Milwaukee M18 string trimmer. Lots of power (don’t underestimate it, wear protection.)

I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.
    I agree, but my needs are very minimal in that regard.
    I'd like to move up to a lithium battery option for the string trimmer and blower, but there's no way in hell I'll give up my gas Toro mower.

... I have an old gas powered 16" Stihl chainsaw which is quite temperamental for the few times that it gets used, so I checked out the EGO 18" chainsaw. They claim it can make 300+ cuts through a 12" log on a charge.
    I have the 14". I was amazed at how well it handled a major pruning of 10-12" Hackberry limbs. Make sure the blade is sharp. If not - or if cerebral flatulence strikes, and you get trigger happy with the blade in a bind - you can overheat the battery and ruin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    ... I remain to be convinced that anything electric can beat a decent gas-powered blower, though.
    I was same way, but then... I spent 30 minutes trying to start the (EXPLETIVE) thing. I can throw on the EGO battery, and done w/o ever breaking a sweat. Seldom used recoil start anything is a beating, lubricated with sweat, insulated with money, and wrapped in swearing. ...IMHO.

... no way in hell I'll give up my gas Toro mower.
    Until it won't start?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 05-19-2021 at 7:44 PM.