Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electric Lawn Mowers

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    I have the 14". I was amazed at how well it handled a major pruning of 10-12" Hackberry limbs. Make sure the blade is sharp. If not - or if cerebral flatulence strikes, and you get trigger happy with the blade in a bind - you can overheat the battery and ruin it.

I was same way, but then... I spent 30 minutes trying to start the (EXPLETIVE) thing. I can throw on the EGO battery, and done w/o ever breaking a sweat. Seldom used recoil start anything is a beating, lubricated with sweat, insulated with money, and wrapped in swearing. ...IMHO.

Until it won't start?
    If a battery powered lawn mower could give me the cut quality and mulching capability and run time of my Super Recycler, I'd switch. It's not there yet.
    I'd love to leave the maintenance behind, but a gas laen mower (in some situations) is still superior.

Well I used the EGO lawn mower and blower for the first time this morning. Both units came with a battery and charger.

I unpacked it out of the box yesterday, nothing to assemble. I charged the battery, about an hour and it was ready for use. I'm using it in the mulching mode and it was already setup for that out of the box.

Although the mower is self propelled, I actually just pushed it for most of the mowing as the mower is super light to maneuver and all my cutting areas are flat.

It's so quiet, you can have a normal conversation while it is cutting. I used it for about 15 minutes, that's all I need it for before switching to my ZTR ride on. The battery still indicated a full charge on the status bars.

The blower was pretty much ready to go straight out of the box, so again, charged the battery before use.

The blower is also pretty quiet, nothing like my screaming two stroke blower, I blew lots of leafs, small twigs and lawn clippings and am very happy with the results. I have a small handheld two stroke Hitachi blower, my normal go to, and a Husqvarna two strike back pack blower, that for the few areas that I need to blow, hardly ever comes out. I don't see me using either of the gas powered blowers in the future.

Another nice feature, when you release the trigger, the blower stops, whereas my gas powered units, still blow air, so you have to be wary of where they are pointing even when they are idling.

Re battery blowers- I'm in the Makita sphere with drills and a few other of their 18/36v tools. I bought their strongest 36v blower maybe 2 years ago and when it arrived the boss said "I hate those things! They are too loud!"

Now she loves it. No sound unless it's blowing and variable speed blowing- very gentle on the lowest setting. We have a huge Beech tree overhanging the deck and right now it is dropping all it's flowers all over it. 15-20 seconds and they are gone. I bought a gutter attachment for it and what used to be a half hour with a ladder is now 2 minutes start to finish with the blower.

We use it in the fall to corral the leaves onto the lawn and mulch them with the mower to be used on the gardens.

Love it. I can see an electric lawn mower down the road but right now my Honda is too new to replace. I love it too.

We purchased an Ego 21" mower this year and have been happy with it. It is light enough to push easily around tight corners and move backwards. It is rated to last one hour and it approaches that. It probably would if not using the self propelling mechanism. Deck height adjustment is great. This mower is mostly plastic so I don't think it would last a long time if horsed around. The battery compartment door seems fragile. The charger is air cooled and completes a charge in about 45 minutes.

I lied... Decoded to go gas. Went for performance and didn’t want to worry about battery life if the grass was thick and was using self propel etc which drain battery life. Wanted to, just wasn’t ready.

I got a Toro Super Recycler 21386 that can store just like a battery model. Mulching ability is amazing. The clippings just seems to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I lied... Decoded to go gas. Went for performance and didn’t want to worry about battery life if the grass was thick and was using self propel etc which drain battery life. Wanted to, just wasn’t ready.

I got a Toro Super Recycler 21386 that can store just like a battery model. Mulching ability is amazing. The clippings just seems to disappear.
    Excellent choice.
    You'll be even more impressed with the mulching if you do leaves in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Excellent choice.
    You'll be even more impressed with the mulching if you do leaves in the fall.
    I really like that B&S 163cc motor a lot. It’s been very reliable, nay practically indestructible, on my (non-drive) push mower. I wonder how much power the self-driving feature pulls off that power availability, though. I hate self-driving mowers, they cramp my tendency to change direction.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 05-23-2021 at 5:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I really like that B&S 163cc motor a lot. It’s been very reliable, nay practically indestructible, on my (non-drive) push mower. I wonder how much power the self-driving feature pulls off that power availability, though. I hate self-driving mowers, they cramp my tendency to change direction.
    I have the 159cc Chinese Toro engine on my new Super Recycler and I've not had any issues with power. I was concerned because I had the 190cc Briggs on the previous Super Recycler but it's been a total non-issue. (I have a fairly thick 1/3 of an acre and mow high.)

I get what you're saying about self propel, but the Personal Pace on the Toros makes it a non issue. It's super intuitive and they're very nimble.
    I bought a Honda HRX between these two Toros and sold it off after a year because the drive system sucked, it was heavy and clumsy, and it paled in comparison at mulching leaves. It did have excellent grass cutting capability though.

Well I've drunk the KoolAid, after using my new electric lawn mower and blower, a couple of times, I broke down and bought the EGO 18" chainsaw and weed eater.

Ive used the weed eater and it is lighter and quieter than my two stroke Stihl, obviously no issue with starting, and the trim line spool loading is much easier. It also seems to have just as much power, for trimming, as my gas powered Stihl. I'll keep my Stihl, but put a heavy duty blade on it for saplings.

I pickup the EGO 18" chainsaw on Saturday.