Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electric Lawn Mowers

Electric Lawn Mowers

I have about 2 acres of grass which I cut with my ZTR mower.

I used to have a 21" self propelled, gas walk behind mower, but lent it to my Son who somehow lost it.

Anyway, I have a few tight spots of lawn. that I can't get into with the ZTR, but are a little to large to just weed wack.

So I thought about another walk behind and then that thought turned to the idea of an electric mower.

I've watched lots of YouTube reviews and am leaning towards the EGO brand.

My yard is flat, the areas I would use this would probably take me about 5-10 minutes so I don't need to pay for a 10A battery. I would use this in the mulching mode, I'm too lazy to bag and dump.

Thoughts.

I also have about 2 acres although too much of it is partially-tamed woods. I can't tell you about mower brands (we use a gas-powered lawn tractor) but my suggestion would be that you consider the other tools that will be compatible with the batteries of whatever you buy. Decent lithium batteries are expensive. I bought a 40-volt Ryobi battery-powered chainsaw a while ago and while it might not be the greatest chainsaw I also now have a 40-volt weed-eater, hedge trimmer and leaf blower and they are awesome. Most came relatively inexpensively without batteries. Instead of 4 tools each with a gas engine needing premix gas and maintenance, I have some useful tools I would not otherwise have bought and a fresh battery waiting on the charger.
    Last edited by Alan Rutherford; 05-18-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Last year I went with the Lowes Kobat 80volt mower and leaf blower
    Batteries can use the same charger and are plug compatible.
    The leaf blower has a smaller total amp capacity, but the wife used that battery to mow our lawn last week.

Howard Garner
    Last edited by Howard Garner; 05-17-2021 at 3:54 PM. Reason: typos

I have an EGO 21" with a 5Ahr battery. Also have their blower, edger and string trimmer - so I have a couple of 2.5Ahr batteries, too. The 5Ahr battery gets me ~ 45 minutes of mowing time - about enough to do our lawn. If I need to change out, the 2.5Ahr batteries also fit the mower and get me another ~20 minutes.

This is my fifth year with the mower, and I'm happy with my purchase.
    Last edited by Gary Ragatz; 05-17-2021 at 9:44 PM. Reason: Typo

I have several EGO tools and love them Our son has the lawn mower and says he likes it a lot.

I have an EGO trimmer and it's a workhouse. When my Honda gives out I'll buy an EGO electric. I have less than a 1/4 acre.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

How does one lose a lawn mower?

I have the Ego mower, blower, and snow blower. All are great.

That said, if you are already on another battery system, there may be other options that are more convenient (e.g. Makita makes ones that uses the LXT batteries)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post

I would have son looking for my mower, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    He rented a house in a sketchy part of town while he was at college and one night it went missing.

He offered to buy me a new one, but Dad's a little too soft to take him up on his offer, plus he just bought one of my motorcycle's off me, so I'm sitting on a nice size pile of cash from him.

I have a DIL who uses one of the EGO and it's worked well for her.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

My 4-wheel drive push'n'go gas Toro has spoiled me. Haven't found a 4-wheel drive electric yet...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I bought the Toro electric for this season and am pretty happy with it. Several reports I’ve seen rate it highly.
    Dennis

I’m in the market for a battery powered mower as well. Leaning toward EGO too. Takes me 45+ minutes to mow my yard, so I need a 7.5ah battery. The 5 us “up to” 45 minutes and I don’t want the battery dying with 1 pass left. Ace has it for $50 off, so $600 plus tax.

I had corded electric back in the early 1970s.
    It would have been ok for my small yard, but, it had way too little power.
    If the grass was at all high, it would bog down and pop the fuse.

I see Makita has a 36V cordless promotion where you get two free batteries when you buy the mower.
    If I didn't have other stuff I need more, I'd buy one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon