Thread: Powermatic Lathe Model 45 into PM2020

Powermatic Lathe Model 45 into PM2020

I recently started restoring a Powermatic 45 lathe (without Reeves drive) and am building the lathe into a 2.5HP continuously variable DC motor. As such, I am hoping to add the same drive ratios as the PM2020 sheaves. Does anyone know how to get the outer diameter measurements of these Micro-v belt sheaves without spending the ~$400 ordering them from Powermatic? I have a machine shop and full metal fabrication shop at my disposal to build them if necessary.

I was going to say read the rpm range and calcualte from that. But, PM does not list rpm other then 1725 which is probably 60HZ motor rpm.
    Bill D.

I have a PM45.. it has a step pulley on both motor and main shaft...
    I simply replaced the motor with a 3phase motor and vfd...
    I put the belt on same steps on pulleys...
    Now I have variable speed from 0 to 3600 rpm with the ability to reverse it if wanted... (only did that one time to finish sanding but mostly just to try it)...

It is great ..... and was so easy to do....

Actually speed can be more if I change belt to different positions, but never had the need to do that...
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 05-17-2021 at 9:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    I have a PM45.. it has a step pulley on both motor and main shaft...
    I simply replaced the motor with a 3phase motor and vfd...
    I put the belt on same steps on pulleys...
    Now I have variable speed from 0 to 3600 rpm with the ability to reverse it if wanted... (only did that one time to finish sanding but mostly just to try it)...

It is great ..... and was so easy to do....

Actually speed can be more if I change belt to different positions, but never had the need to do that...
    Michael, I agree with Ed, unless you already have the DC drive, go with a VFD and AC motor. Low end torque is much better. These days only inexpensive mini lathes still use DC drives. All the other lathes (with the exception of DVR of course) have went to AC motors and VFDs (aka: Inverters).
    "Only a rich man can afford cheap tools, as he needs to buy them again and again"