Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh!

Ugh!

So, we apparently have had a rodent or some other critter die inside one of the interior walls in our guest bathroom. The odor is terrible. I've been under the house and confirmed it's not coming from the crawlspace, so it must be inside one of interior walls though I cannot pinpoint which one. We had a pest control guy come out. He did the same sort of inspection I did and couldn't find it, either. He basically told me that he's had folks ask him to knock a bunch of holes in their drywall in the past, and still been unable to locate the source. His advice was just to let it runs its course and that the smell will dissipate in time. At this point, I have the room closed off and running the ventilation fan 24/7. I put several odor-absorbing pouches inside but not sure if they are actually helping. At this point, I can't think of a better plan than what he suggested but to the group, anything I'm missing?Thanks,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have the same issue in one of my office walls. Twice now a rodent managed to get himself cought down there. Takes about two weeks to mumify. I hope it a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    ...a better plan
    If you feel that finding the culprit is worth the required repairs, look for a borescope (example). You can start a systematic search of each stud pocket - either thru the walls, with requisite repairs - - or drill holes in top or bottom plates. Repeat until you find the source. Then start excavation and re-internment of the deceased in suitable family plot.

If a rat/mouse/squirrel, probably not worth it IMHO, but a racoon, skunk, possum, etc - - might get a bit 'musty'.

Dump some charcoal into some trays & set them around the room - - close the doors & let it sit.

60 years ago our family went on vacation for two weeks. Dad sent my brother to turn off the water to the washing machine & unplug it from the wall. My brother did that & he pulled the plug on the freezer - without thinking it through.
    When we returned two weeks later, the smell that greeted us was unbelievable.

My mom always felt bad about having to send my brother into the big chest freezer in a bathing suit & using an empty paint can to bail out the water/blood goo from the freezer - but - after all, he's the one that made the mess.

Dad spread a bag of charcoal in the freezer and closed the top. Two weeks later, the smell was gone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Most likely a mouse, entry for a bigger pest would usually be visible. The stink doesn't last that long. I wouldn't go looking for it, they can be anywhere in the wall cavities...on top (or in) electrical boxes, in knot holes, anywhere in the insulation if there is any, etc. We live in the woods and it's a constant battle to keep them out of the house. If you have attic space over the area, that another prime entry area.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    So, we apparently have had a rodent or some other critter die inside one of the interior walls in our guest bathroom. The odor is terrible. I've been under the house and confirmed it's not coming from the crawlspace, so it must be inside one of interior walls though I cannot pinpoint which one. We had a pest control guy come out. He did the same sort of inspection I did and couldn't find it, either. He basically told me that he's had folks ask him to knock a bunch of holes in their drywall in the past, and still been unable to locate the source. His advice was just to let it runs its course and that the smell will dissipate in time. At this point, I have the room closed off and running the ventilation fan 24/7. I put several odor-absorbing pouches inside but not sure if they are actually helping. At this point, I can't think of a better plan than what he suggested but to the group, anything I'm missing?Thanks,

Erik
    When we bought this house I took the sheet rock off one wall in the process of modeling. I found several dried up mouse skeletons at the bottom. The wall had been constructed to with studs open at the top into a horizontal space. Mice evidently would fall to the bottom and not be able to get out. I rebuilt the top and sealed it well. If you do take sheet rock down, perhaps look for similar traps.

We've been here for almost 17 years not and there has been no evidence of mice in the wall. (The house is timberframe construction and only a few walls dividing the interior space have stud and sheet rock construction.)

Blog Entries
    Had the same thing happen, did the same thing you did. It took about 5 days to stop drinking, and then we had an onslaught of black flies, and then it was gone.

A dog should be able to find the location.

Blog Entries
    they can be anywhere in the wall cavities...on top (or in) electrical boxes
    You might try removing the covers from switches and outlets incase a mouse crawled in to one and was electrocuted:

Electric Mouse Trap.jpg

This is the third mouse that has bought it in my shop in this outlet. If there is a metal box the mouse could be deeper inside. This box is plastic and the mouse had to touch the mount and the hot side of the line at the same time.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    It may not be in the walls. If this is a guest bathroom that seldom gets used, there is a good chance that the smell is coming up one of the drains. Run some water down each drain to make sure the traps are full. We had this happen in a bath room at our church that was rarely used. The floor drains and the shower drains dried out and sewer gas was coming up through the drains.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Had the same thing happen, did the same thing you did. It took about 5 days to stop drinking
    Malcolm, you are too sentimental.
    < insert spurious quote here >

OK, wouldn't tear up drywall, but I think the drain issue is worth investigating and removing the electical covers may provide an answer. Sound advice was given here. Good luck.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I’ll check out the wall outlets and run a bunch water through the drains as well. Oddly, our dogs seem disinterested in the whole thing. On a positive note, I think (?) the odor is decreasing already.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Time is generally the only cure, Erik.

I swore the odor in our place was from a wild boar stuck in the wall. It finally went away in the normal week, but it seemed like four years.

One other place to check is under the vanity if it is a standard cabinet. You may have to pull off the toe kick, but I found a huge nest in a friend’s kitchen that way. I had been able to sniff out where the smell was strongest.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore