Thread: Desk Design

Desk Design

I am making a desk for my grandson. Do kids use keyboards any more or is it all touch pad stuff? I am trying to determine if I should put in a sliding keyboard tray under the desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Gibbons View Post
    ... Do kids use keyboards any more or is it all touch pad stuff? ....
    In my limited experience, it depends. Touch is certainly preferred for quick messages and consuming media (on phone & phone or tablet), but my daughter bought a computer when she was job hunting. Filling out forms, writing cover letters, and writing papers for an online class (to get a certification useful on applications) was just too much without a keyboard. Also I can't speak for hardcore PC gamers, it seems like their rigs have keyboards, but I'm unclear how much they use them.

Maybe best to ask him how it'll be used. (Or his mom, since you don't say how old he is.)

Don't bother with a keyboard tray. Because you're making a custom desk, you can make the whole desktop the right height for a keyboard. Then he gets to put the keyboard or other computer anyplace on the desk, and doesn't have to put it exactly where the tray dictates. 28" or even 27" is a good height.

Grandson is 6 heading into 1st grade. This desk will likely stay with him through high school. I’m thinking a chair that can adjust the height will allow long term use.

Grandson is 6 heading into 1st grade...
    Oh, definitely will be needing a keyboard... at some point. Maybe not in first grade, but my other daughter's 2nd grade teacher ask that she learn to type (as her handwriting was virtually unreadable.)

... This desk will likely stay with him through high school. I’m thinking a chair that can adjust the height will allow long term use.
    I'd be thinking of some way to adjust the desk height. There's a real limit to how much you can adjust the seat height for any given leg length and still be comfortable.