Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what do you lend out, and what don't you lend out?

I loaned a hand truck and some heavy ratchet straps to someone I know who was moving recently. I don't loan things that I would be very unhappy if they didn't come back, but those things are easily replaced if necessary.

Blog Entries
    Most people around me wouldn’t know how to use my stuff so the problem is moot. Back in Kansas I was only asked a couple of times. I had one good experience where the guy returned an electric chainsaw cleaner than when he got it. The other experience wasn’t so good. The guy kept my tool for the better part of a year. When I asked for it back, he wanted to know why.

If its easy to replace and not registered to me Ill lend it.

I do make sure they are capable of returning it to me with all of their limbs intact before I do so

Also Its nice to know what they are using it for. My brother borrowed my chainsaw to cut roots in the ground. Its now his chainsaw. Also when I was a child the neigbot asked to borrow a snake, me being semi informed said yes of course I lent him my fathers electrical snake and he used it to unclog his toilet. My father was a bit annoyed at me.

I will loan out almost any of my woodworking tools to a very few select people. They are invariably members of our NH woodworking guild. By the same token I won't loan any tools to my son. I always ended up having to ask for them back months later and they were not returned clean. Surprising based on what I taught him and the fact he uses other kinds of tools daily for his job.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Dont have time to read this thread but years ago I rebuilt a roof on a home and a friend loaned me his brand new 10" Milwaukee Compound Mitresaw. If and when I do think about that I think man what a nice to do, he had not even used it yet. Pretty damn nice of him. Later someone bought me a 12 Milwaukee as a gift, I think the 10 felt better in some ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Some of my tools will be lent to my son in law when he is doing yard work on my property.
    jtk
    Did I read this right? Do you loan out your son in law?

I have an inner circle of friends/family that I will loan just about anything to.

To me, it's just stuff.

Many years ago I loaned an expensive cookery book to a friend, when I asked for its return the friend claimed they had not borrowed the book
    So if you do decide to loan any item a simple method to ensure its returned is to use your mobile phone and photograph the person holding the item
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 05-17-2021 at 4:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Many years ago I loaned an expensive cookery book to a friend, when I asked for its return the friend claimed they had not borrowed the book
    So if you do decide to loan any item a simple method to ensure its returned is to use your mobile phone and photograph the person holding the item
    O books I hope to get back I write my name in big bold sharpie on the page bundle on the top of the book, on the front and on the first page inside.

BTW, on ladders, measuring tapes, levels, hammers, and other things that might be confused with those of workers who come I write "Stolen from John K Jordan".

JKJ

I keep a few tools that I happily loan out. A Dewalt 12" miter saw and a Bosch jobsite table saw that are on mobile stands are always ready to go. I upgraded both and decided it was better to keep them as loaners instead of selling them. They have built a lot of decks and other DIY projects.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Did I read this right? Do you loan out your son in law?
    No, he gets paid by the hour when he works for me. My understanding is he earns more an hour working for me than his regular employer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I work at a place that is starting to accumulate power tools for their upgraded needs, and I’ve lent them a few of my stationary tools to see if that’s the tool/size they need.
    That’s it.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    I work at a place that is starting to accumulate power tools for their upgraded needs, and I’ve lent them a few of my stationary tools to see if that’s the tool/size they need.
    That’s it.
    One of my small try squares went to work with me once. It was shown to a supervisor and how it would help. He ordered one for every one in the repair shop that afternoon.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)