Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does an extended warranty on my generator make sense?

Blog Entries

Does an extended warranty on my generator make sense?

I just got an offer to extend the warranty on my whole house generator.
    The generator is two years old and has another three years on the original warranty.
    Obviously the generator doesn’t run very much.
    $380 for 3 years and $580 for 5 years to extend the warranty.

Do you think it’s worth it?
    Thanks
    Dennis

If you do the normal annual maintenance, it's "unlikely" you'll have issues. That said, the Generac at our "old" property had a ten year extended warranty that was part of a promotion. Since it's an expensive thing, that was a "nice" thing to have. If I can manage to get gas in from the street here at the new place, I'll definitely be installing a whole house generator again. Whether I'll pay for extending the warranty or not I'd have to think about for a bit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I just got an offer to extend the warranty on my whole house generator.
    The generator is two years old and has another three years on the original warranty.
    Obviously the generator doesn’t run very much.
    $380 for 3 years and $580 for 5 years to extend the warranty.

Do you think it’s worth it?
    Thanks

Is that 3 years beyond the original some extended warranties start the day you purchase them so the 3 year warranty would end the same time your original one ends

Personally I don't buy extended warranties on anything, unless I have some serious reason to believe it's likely to fail. In the case of my generator the answer would be no.

I figure that we come out ahead, in the long run, by not buying extended warranties on anything.

I had a LNG powered generator that was very expensive. It ran beautifully until the local line pressure dropped.

The warranty was of no use, there.

These are (generally) simple one cylinder motors with a generator attached. Change the oil using a manufacturer's certified tech to satisfy warranty conditions.

The likelihood of failure falls to near zero after the first 90 days, if you keep the vents clear and change the oil.

Blog Entries
    Years ago in (I think) Consumer Reports I read an article about extended warranties. Their advice was generally to skip them (and "protection plans") if you can be disciplined enough to have savings set aside (or available credit) in the event that a repair is ever needed.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Having spent my career in the appliance business I can tell you that extended warranty sales are the most profitable part of the business. Reason—-they’re rarely used compared to appliance unit sales. The same is true for cars.

I don’t buy them for anything!!!
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I always suspected that an extended warranty claim, unless it was a total replacement, would result in the provider supplying the least amount of and cheapest source of parts and the minimum labor effort needed. IDK that as an absolute fact as I have never purchased an extended warranty. I almost got up and left a car dealership when presented with a very aggressive effort to sell me one by the deal closer after I had agreed to purchase but not signed anything.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-16-2021 at 12:43 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Depends. I generally decline extended warranties. However, I think house generators are finicky cats requiring special care. I am presently reviving two older generators for a neighbor -20KW Generac and 12KW Briggs- and have come to understand that they are fragile and complicated and expensive in disciplines that cross high voltage electrics, finicky electronics, and less than robust gas motors (especially in the the case of Generacs) all in the same package which is why it is difficult to find reliable expertise. Scan over some of the cases in the Generac forum and you can sympathize with some of the home owners facing hair-pulling nightmares. The forum cases also demonstrate that repair contractor (sometimes plumbing supply outfits where generator service represents minor income) expertise is spotty across the country. If you are comfortable with HVAC upkeep then maybe skip the extra warranties. But if you are among the 85% plug and play homeowners, then look into the extra warranty protection.

If you read this forum you probably do the required oil changes and battery checks. So I would say no

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    If you read this forum you probably do the required oil changes and battery checks. So I would say no

Main thing is to KEEP RECORDS. Dates,and receipts for oil and filters (photo copies as the originals will fade away quickly,) showing that you did in fact change the oil and filter on schedule. Once I had a fairly expensive lifetime part that I bought from Advance Auto. At that time they said we keep records, so you don't need to keep receipts. However, every three years, they automatically purged their system. Part fails, take it in for replacement. Took it to store where purchased. They look it up and say, that I never bought anything in their store. Remember this part is a brand only Advance sells. Come home, get copy of receipt for parts for another vehicle, then go back to store. Again, they tell me system shows I have never bought any parts from them, especially at that store. Pull out copy of receipts for parts, purchased at that store, and show it to them, proving their system to be wrong. After a short conversation with manager, had my replacement part and was on my way. That's why to this day, I don't shop at Advance unless there is no other option.

The math is that all extended warranties are bad buys. They have to make money or they couldn't make money selling them.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Blog Entries
    I generally don't buy extended warranties, just like Vegas, the house always wins in the long run. That being said I have a good friend that buys low mileage cars and always gets the extended warranty. He has made out every time. So when we bought a new 2020 Cherokee with the intent to keep it a long time we got the extended warranty. We will see how it goes. I would be happy to not have to use it.
    NOW you tell me...

I do not think Chevy won with the vega.
    Bill D