Thread: Llama shearing today

Llama shearing today

Llamas and alpacas have to be sheared every year before it gets too hot. Got the llamas done today, the alpacas soon.

This is my llama Nika, before and after. Her mother Ixchel is also in the after photo. Every time a llama is sheared the others come and stare!

shearing_before_after_Nika.jpg

This picture from a few years ago is one of our alpacas - compared to llamas their coats are typically thicker and denser with finer fibers. I weighed one alpaca before and after and found we had cut away 6 lbs of fiber!

shearing_before_after.jpg

JKJ

Where the like button when you need it?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Blog Entries
    Do you save the fur? I bought an alpaca blanket in Peru and wore it as I trekked across the country. I loved that thing. I still have it, but seldom need it in my climate.

I hope the wool finds a new use. The animals will be thankful it is gone in a month or less. Tennessee has had a cooler than normal month of May.

I have almost 10 years of fiber. I hope someday to process it into roving for spinning yarn but for now I've just given a little for gifts.

Alpaca fiber is wonderful, has properties which make it better for spinning too. Sometimes llama fiber is blended with either alpaca or sheep to make it easier to spin.

JKJ