Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walk to the shop with me

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Flashlights are like tape measures around here. They all end up in the same spot which is never where you need them.
    Ah, maybe you need a system. I've bought a dozen or so of the Fenix LD22: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01418RAZY, in my opinion the best small light available, for several solid reasons.

I keep on in each vehicle, one with the bee equipment, two hanging in the shop on the door, two on a ledge in the house just inside the door, and two more on a shelf in my "nest" (reading chair, bookcase, laptop). I'm the only one who touches them. If going out from the house or shop close or after dark I grab one of the two by the door. If I forget to return to where it belongs there is still one at the original location and three at the other location, an obvious disparity which I fix on the next trip.

The only time I got stressed about a light was after an hour of catching a wild chicken at night. Somehow I dropped the light (but caught the chicken.) I retraced my steps and searched for two weeks before I found it! I now keep an extra light on a shelf in the shop, new in the box. Just in case.

JKJ

What a great shop space. Good for you!
    Love the scenery too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Beautiful shop, and nice exercise for the walk.

My commuting to my shop exercise involves pushing an elevator button. Frankly, your walk looks like far more fun, and clearly more beautiful.

Is that all your property? Wow!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    My commuting to my shop exercise involves pushing an elevator button. Frankly, your walk looks like far more fun, and clearly more beautiful.
    Thomas has a beautiful place or two not far from where I live. A bit hilly but much of this part of the country is.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

No. I have two lots on Norris Lake. One is on the water, one is off. The shop is on the offwater lot. It is a long story but has to do with building restrictions. The road is public except for the driveway.

"No honey I think I'll spend the night at the shop"

That shop is a beauty!

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ah, maybe you need a system. I've bought a dozen or so of the Fenix LD22: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01418RAZY, in my opinion the best small light available, for several solid reasons.

I keep on in each vehicle, one with the bee equipment, two hanging in the shop on the door, two on a ledge in the house just inside the door, and two more on a shelf in my "nest" (reading chair, bookcase, laptop). I'm the only one who touches them. If going out from the house or shop close or after dark I grab one of the two by the door. If I forget to return to where it belongs there is still one at the original location and three at the other location, an obvious disparity which I fix on the next trip.

The only time I got stressed about a light was after an hour of catching a wild chicken at night. Somehow I dropped the light (but caught the chicken.) I retraced my steps and searched for two weeks before I found it! I now keep an extra light on a shelf in the shop, new in the box. Just in case.

JKJ
    My system for tape measures is to just have so many that I can't not find one. Back when I was building my house (or maybe garage) Lowes and Stanly had a deal. Spend $60 and get one of the 1" chrome tape measures they've made for decades free. You had to buy one to get the coupon on the back but once you did everytime you went back you could get a free tape. Since I was working during the days I could only swing in after the normal lumber places were closed. Dropping $60 was easy to do so I got at least a dozen. If a Harbor Freight was close by I bet I would have just as many of their free flashlights.

Thomas, that is a beautiful shop in a beautiful setting, enjoy the walk on pretty days and the drive on rainy ones.

What a beautiful walk in a beautiful setting to a beautiful shop!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Blog Entries
    I am spoiled with the short walk to the shop but my setting and surroundings can't compare. Keep in mind how wonderful it is to be where you are when you are dreading a "quick trip" to the shop for something ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Wow beautiful walk and shop. I could see myself walking, breathing, and clearing the mind. You are very lucky sir!
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

What a beautiful shop and walk!

Beautiful!

I love your walls. Plywood? It goes so well with the frame. How did you finish it?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fox View Post
    Beautiful!

I love your walls. Plywood? It goes so well with the frame. How did you finish it?
    Thanks. Yes, the walls are 3/8 inch T1-11 exterior plywood. The finish is Minwax Polycrylic, one coat, sprayed on. If I hadn’t seen the sheets being sprayed, I would not know they did it. It is invisible.