Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk to the shop with me

Walk to the shop with me

My shop is about 1/3 of a mile from my house. Most of the time I drive the truck or the Kawasaki Mule. But since the gas shortage began, I have been conserving the gas in the truck in case I need it. The Mule is in the shop so I have been walking. It is a lovely walk, a little steep but good exercise. I figure the elevation gain going to the shop is about 150’ (=stairs to the top of a 10 floor building?) but it is downhill mostly on the way home. Here are just a few pics along the way. I wish I had done this when the dogwoods were in bloom.

The driveway. If the truck is unloaded, it requires 4WD when backing out even though the driveway is concrete and has a raked finish.
    CB18CAA9-AA5F-4E74-A025-9EFF5C9230D8.jpg
    Down the street.
    73262A20-DAED-4C7D-860C-A0DD51CE927E.jpg
    Around the bend and up a hill.
    73262A20-DAED-4C7D-860C-A0DD51CE927E.jpg
    And down again
    9E62461D-64BE-41F3-936D-DF9D97A2DA5C.jpg
    Driveway to the shop, steep but not as steep as the one at the house.
    CC5EFDF0-051F-4AF2-B288-F3A73031507C.jpg
    The shop.
    FDFC00AA-68C5-4936-B096-34DD6B5448AE.jpg
    I need to make a run to the dump.
    08E61F8F-738D-4BDF-BF0B-D651512A9FAD.jpg
    This is where the fun begins.
    F2B4E2F8-2848-4F32-83F7-80D76068C9C7.jpg
    Thanks for coming along.

PS. Uploading pictures on this site using HughesNet is weird, frustrating, unpredictable, and no fun.
    Last edited by Thomas Wilson; 05-15-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Gorgeous scenery for the walk to the shop. Mine is about 50' and the only scenery to look at is the trees, tomato plants and peppers.
    You luck Rascal!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Gorgeous scenery for the walk to the shop. Mine is about 50' and the only scenery to look at is the trees, tomato plants and peppers.
    You luck Rascal!
    I would trade you for the 50’.

Beautiful!
    I remember it was quite a climb just up the drive from the road.

My walk between the house and shop and barn is only about 250', nice hill but not too strenuous. About a 1/4 mile walk to the horses, mailbox, etc. I always walk unless it's storming, freezing, or I have to haul something - little Kubota diesel truck gets a lot of use then!

HughesNet - I feel your pain. I used it for years until Comcast finally agreed to run cable from the road to the house. They put it in the ground in conduit.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Beautiful!
    I remember it was quite a climb just up the drive from the road.

My walk between the house and shop and barn is only about 250', nice hill but not too strenuous. About a 1/4 mile walk to the horses, mailbox, etc. I always walk unless it's storming, freezing, or I have to haul something - little Kubota diesel truck gets a lot of use then!

HughesNet - I feel your pain. I used it for years until Comcast finally agreed to run cable from the road to the house. They put it in the ground in conduit.

JKJ
    Come back for view. Stay for the beer. The screened porch is marvelous. It’s only 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Come back for view. Stay for the beer. The screened porch is marvelous. It’s only 20 minutes.
    I do want to come see the end result, I'll just have to pick a time and do it.

Nice little outbuilding you got there.
    I think that would qualify as a retirement dream shop for about 95% of the members here.

OK, that's beautiful.

I'm struggling a bit because I currently have an outbuilding shop that's a short walk from the house. The 'getting away from it all' experience is part of the charm.

We're getting ready to downsize and my next shop will be in the lower level of the house. It still will be a nice shop, but I'll miss having a standalone building. (Although I'll appreciate the ability to go down there to check on a glue up or a finish. And having better temp/humidity regulation will be nice. )

Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

I think that on a nice day when you know you'll not really need a vehicle for something...the walk is the way to go for so many reasons!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice! I liked that picture progression, and the shop looks like a wonderful place to spend many hours!!
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Beautiful walk and shop!

Thank you all. East Tennessee is beautiful. I love the green. When it is cold or hot or raining or I am in a hurry, there is an excuse to drive. The reality is that I should walk every time. It is worth it.

My soon to move into shop is about 300 feet but it's close to 100 feet lower. Easy to walk to but when you're tired walking back up isn't so easy. You also have to cut through a section of brush that obscures it from the house. The worst thing is when you are working at night and don't realize just how dark it is and have to stumble uphill not seeing a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    My soon to move into shop is about 300 feet but it's close to 100 feet lower. Easy to walk to but when you're tired walking back up isn't so easy. You also have to cut through a section of brush that obscures it from the house. The worst thing is when you are working at night and don't realize just how dark it is and have to stumble uphill not seeing a thing.
    That sounds steep enough for steps!

I keep small flashlights by the door in both house and shop for this! Also nice for identifying what is making noises just off the lane in the dark - is it a barn cat, raccoon, rabid skunk, escaped cougar, axe murderer?

As I get older I sometimes realize I'm subconsciously "trudging" up the hill without thinking. When I realize it, I extend my stride and put a determined spring in my step and the uphill walk instantly gets easier! If not exhausted, I jog up the hill (but not in the dark) This was easier back when I turned 70 (turning 71 this week)

Flashlights are like tape measures around here. They all end up in the same spot which is never where you need them.