Thread: air assist vector cut

air assist vector cut

What is everyone running for air assist?

I have a new Fusion 24 60 watt and was informed I could run an airbrush pump for air assist. I am currently using a pancake compressor regulated down to 25 PSI at the air intake and it struggles to keep up. Am I over blowing the air? I am not opposed to picking up a bigger compressor if needed and it seems to cut really well with that amount of air but figured I would see what everyone was doing.

I don't see any specifications of CFM or anything except max of 30 PSI.

Thanks in advance

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

I like a strong air assist for cutting. I use a Gast 71R.

To control the pressure I have the output of the compressor going into a tee fitting. After one leg of the tee is a ball valve and a length of hose that is open, this valve controls the pressure. The other leg of the tee goes to the air assist on the machine, and there is another tee in that run with a pressure gage.

The more you close the ball valve, the less air gets dumped and the higher the pressure that goes to the air assist. With the valve fully open all the pressure gets dumped through the open hose.

This set up allows for full control of the air assist pressure while never overworking the compressor - and requires no tank, regulator or water separator.

Gast 71R.jpg
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 05-15-2021 at 11:43 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Have you looked at what Epilog is offering?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7