Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Domino users ... Seneca Domiplate or TSO Big Foot or both

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I think there are options for this.
    I seem to recall someone made spacers that fit over the old (round) pins.
    And there are also aftermarket alignment plates that allow registration with narrower pieces:
    - http://www.dominoguide.com/MGS-20%20Manual%20R1.pdf
    - https://www.senecawoodworking.com/co.../dock-plate-xl

I haven't used any of these; but you're right that this is an area that feels awkward. I have made jigs to help with registration of small parts.

Matt
    Thanks for these Matt.

That first link looks interesting. I wish it didn't require using the domino upside down (or supporting the stock up in the air), but otherwise that's what I have in mind.

I have the dock plate and it works ok but requires great care in setup to get the stops on both sides set exactly the same, as you need to do to mortise both ends of a rail, for example. It also requires removing one of the stops to make the corresponding mortises in one end of the stiles, and then removing the other stop and replacing (precisely) the first stop to do the mortises in the other ends of the stiles. It's doable certainly, just more fussing than one might like. At least the stops in the jig in your first link are flip stops (plus there are two on each side) so they can be flipped out of the way when needed. I may take the plunge (pun intended) on that one.

Thanks again!

[eta:] of course, all their stuff is out of stock....
    Last edited by Paul F Franklin; 05-18-2021 at 11:56 AM.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The trim stop would work for this but you would have to use one of the stops on one end and the other stop on the other end. They do not take long to reposition.

I used this festool accessory this morning to rapidly cut the mortises in the ends of a bunch of 13/16 rails for chairs I am making. I put a 6mm mortise in the center of 1 inch wide small rails without marking by using the trim stop. Then I made mortises 1 5/8 wide in 2 inch wide pieces by registering of one of the stops on one edge of the workpiece and the other stop for the other edge. Two plunges of the 8mm bit in the wide setting cut the mortises. I am making 9 chairs so there were a bunch but they went quickly. I'm glad I bought this but I am still not regretting avoiding the other Festool and aftermarket domino accessories. I'll buy them if I identify a significant need but so far I am happy without them.

I found the minimum 10mm setting of the fence to be just right to put the mortises in the center of the 13/16 work pieces. Worked out nicely. (it's actually a tenth of a millimeter or so off but I don't work to those kind of tolerances)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    The trim stop would work for this but you would have to use one of the stops on one end and the other stop on the other end. They do not take long to reposition.

I used this festool accessory this morning to rapidly cut the mortises in the ends of a bunch of 13/16 rails for chairs I am making. I put a 6mm mortise in the center of 1 inch wide small rails without marking by using the trim stop. Then I made mortises 1 5/8 wide in 2 inch wide pieces by registering of one of the stops on one edge of the workpiece and the other stop for the other edge. Two plunges of the 8mm bit in the wide setting cut the mortises. I am making 9 chairs so there were a bunch but they went quickly. I'm glad I bought this but I am still not regretting avoiding the other Festool and aftermarket domino accessories. I'll buy them if I identify a significant need but so far I am happy without them.

I found the minimum 10mm setting of the fence to be just right to put the mortises in the center of the 13/16 work pieces. Worked out nicely. (it's actually a tenth of a millimeter or so off but I don't work to those kind of tolerances)
    I do have the trim stop and it works fine for narrow rails. I suppose, now that I think about it, it could be used for the stiles by removing one stop to do one end of the stiles, and the other stop for the other ends (as described above for the seneca dock plate. So, doable, just not as efficient as one might like.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--