Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'd be more inclined to look for an inexpensive mini-split for just a few bucks more. I've had a few of those portable AC units in different apartments I'd lived in and they never seemed to last more than one season or cool all that effectively. Emptying the water reservoir when it's humid gets old after a while too.
    Yes, that's a consideration for sure...a pre-charged and DIY installable unit for 450 sq ft isn't that expensive. It could also be moved to the new shop along with a second unit to cover that approximate 950 sw ft that will hopefully be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Looks nice, Jim. Hopefully that electrical panel has capacity for your needs. Let me know if you need any help moving the easy stuff. LOL
    Yes, there's plenty of panel capacity.

The "easy" stuff is about to get teed up...you know, the big machines on wheels? I may actually need that help, my friend. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, there's plenty of panel capacity.

The "easy" stuff is about to get teed up...you know, the big machines on wheels? I may actually need that help, my friend. LOL
    Yeah, let me know if you need help. I've still got a DC over here that needs a home. lol
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Ill take the Stinger, leaving you an extra 25 square feet.

How temporary?

Good luck, Jim. Nice to hear that the project is started.

I took the route of selling off almost all of my old equipment and buying upgrades and having them delivered in the new shop. Certainly made moving easier. And loved the new upgraded toys.

Having had both multiple portable AC units and mini-splits in Florida, I would take the mini-split route. I think you'll be much happier.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    I

How temporary?
    It would be nice if it was only 6-9 mos, but building costs are really up there right now, even for steel. I can't really pursue it seriously until the other property is sold so it's a moving target.

Alan, I had a mini-split in the old shop so I'm a believer. I kinda had to leave that one there because it's an important "feature" relative to selling the property, even though I original entertained the idea of moving it to the new shop. It was not a DIY unit so, that combined with sage advice from my RE agent (whom I've known for 22 years) was to start fresh here relative to HVAC.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-17-2021 at 9:14 AM.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Alan, I had a mini-split in the old shop so I'm a believer. I kinda had to leave that one there because it's an important "feature" relative to selling the property, even though I original entertained the idea of moving it to the new shop. It was not a DIY unit so, that combined with sage advice from my RE agent (whom I've known for 22 years) was to start fresh here relative to HVAC.
    By the time you figure added value to property, recover refrigerant, and recharge the new you're pretty close to the cost of small mrcool unit.

Is there anything you can throw in storage?

I have noticed alot of shed builders(im in the market ) have not fully passed the added cost onto buyers. One in particular sells an 8x10 that went from 1800 to 2100(15%) with lumber being at its peek. I was going back and forth on building/buying that shifted things. On a larger scale it probably makes a bigger difference.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on this next adventure Jim!

For the hollow walls... we are having our home addition spray foamed by a crew that our builder really likes, and we received a brochure that mentions "Pour Foam" for applications like yours. Apparently, they cut small holes to insert the foam hose... might be worth considering, and PM me for the guy's business card info if interested.

For the stand alone shop... I was checking out some pre-fab buildings by Lapp Structures (out of Lancaster area) recently and was pretty impressed. They can place on a foundation if you like, or can place similar to a shed. You'd still have to do interior finishes, but they had all the same siding options as conventional builds. Just an option to consider.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

A minisplit with heat pump option avoids having to add heat to the shop as a seperate expense

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    A minisplit with heat pump option avoids having to add heat to the shop as a seperate expense
    Almost all of them are both cooling/heating including the one in my current, err...old...shop.
    ------

George, I am using rental storage for material and some other things.

Bob, I have several "shed" companies as targets for quotes including the one that Glenn used (Tough Shed) and another from the Lancaster area. I'l also be pricing a metal "carport" type building as an alternative when the time comes as well as stick-built from a contractor friend. On the temporary shop's uninsulated walls, I'm already considering getting them filled, but even that will have to wait until the old property sells.

----

Today I moved two of my three benches, the OSS cabinet (which the drum sander will live on in the temp shop, too) plus the tool cabinets. Gotta love stuff that can roll on and roll off the trailer!

IMG_E9440.jpg IMG_E9441.jpg
    --

I am assuming the new shop will be timber frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I am assuming the new shop will be timber frame.
    I so wish I could pull that off. But I'm thinking that's not in the cards, unfortunately...we'll have a nice chunk of money when the old property sells, but practically speaking, I kinda gotta not spend it all on a shop, especially as I believe that Professor Dr. SWMBO may retire earlier than originally anticipated for reasons I'll not go into.
    --

The present backlog in equipment deliveries may work in your favor here, Jim, if you need to order new equipment. Considering how long it will be to get some stuff, you could put down a deposit, and have the equipment arrive many months from now when you will finally have to pay off the balance, and presumably your old house has sold.

That worked for me with my Felder equipment a few years ago, before all the Covid-2 backlogs, as I also couldn't build my shop until my old house sold. So they kept my equipment for about a year. Now, that delay is just built into the order backlog.

Of course, if you don't need new big equipment, I just wasted two minutes of your life by reading this, which you'd love to get back.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I have no need for new equipment, Alan. My CNC is only two years old. My MM J/P and MM16 as well as my Stubby lathe are not going anywhere but into the new shop. The cost to buy new on things like that would total close to $35K at current prices, give or take. And I have a work backlog that can't wait a year. I'll have everything moved within the next few weeks. I'm busy arranging the stuff I brought over yesterday so I have space for the "next loads" as well as planning for the electrical work I need to do to make my machines wake up once they are here. That includes contemplating what can and cannot share circuits... CNC has to be dedicated (four wire) as does the compressor. I gotta count spaces and decide if I want to try and cram into the remaining space in the main panel or put in a sub-panel dedicated to the machinery. The latter is getting more an more attractive because of access and would also make supporting all the surface mount conduit easier to support and connect to directly without doing the bendy-bendy thing into the wall. I have to extend the outlet for the garage door opener, too, as the new unit being installed soon will be a jack-shaft version to get the box off the ceiling. I fortunately have overhead access for that available in the attic above the gara.., err...shop...
    --

I got a lot of stuff put away/organized today which makes more space for more stuff to come over...

This will do for now in this area

IMG_9442.jpg

And this stuff is all off the floor, too.

IMG_9444.jpg
    --