Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

Blog Entries
    Things are moving right along Jim, congrats. Choosing a reduced tool layout in a smaller space is like choosing your favorite kid
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Things are moving right along Jim, congrats. Choosing a reduced tool layout in a smaller space is like choosing your favorite kid
    LOL..."favorite kid" challenge definitely applies here. I'm hoping by the end of today to have a better picture of what the available space will be so I can start considering "where to stick stuff" which in turn, dictates what I do with the electrical. CNC, Compressor and whatever I use for DC need dedicated circuits. The J/P, BS and Lathe can share a circuit. I also need two more 120v circuits; one dedicated for the CNC computer and one additional for utility in addition to the existing 120v 30 amp (you read that correctly) circuit already in existence. Lighting is already handled by existing that the previous owner put in. I gotta keep most things mobile. The bad about that is the sloped floor which appears to be steeper than in the old shop. No way around that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good progress this weekend...all boxes unloaded and stuff stored, "more or less" where things will live. I do still have some things to move to the storage locker or the basement as well as some equestrian tack, etc, that I need to sell to complete cleaning things out. I will transfer a bunch of LED lighting fixtures from the old shop this coming week which should make a big difference. Of course, I'm going to have to get creative about that when the garage door is open...one reason why I'm not a fan of them in shops...but unfortunately something that can't be avoided in this temporary space.

IMG_E9460.jpg
    --

Today was "labor intensive"...for both my vehicle/trailer and myself. I moved all my sheet goods as well as all the specialty "shorts" and so forth from the old shop to the storage locker. I wouldn't be surprised if about 2000 pounds was involved. But the job got done. In the old shop proper, at this point, it's pretty much machinery. Gotta start on the upstairs this weekend...

Note in the first photos, I've already removed the tarp, tie-downs, tailgate and the sheet goods rack base from the trailer.
    IMG_9467.jpg IMG_9470.jpg
    --

Wow Jim, you get so much done in a day! I wish I was half as efficient. I'm still trying to find temporary spots for all the tools and stuff I had to take out of my outfeed table cabinet when it sold with my table saw sold last week. Of course, everything I go to do in the shop starts with, "I'll just rip this on the TS...oh, it is gone...How long until the slider is supposed to arrive...". Anyway, wow! I hope you find the temporary shop useful until such time you're able to erect permanent digs.

That's a lot of work to load and unload in one day. My back would be killing me the next morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    That's a lot of work to load and unload in one day. My back would be killing me the next morning.
    I resemble that remark...

But the bottom line is the work has to get done. Cleaning out the upstairs of the old shop building will be made more arduous because of heat. I originally intended to use my own trailer for getting rid of discards, but am rethinking my aversion to paying more for a small dumpster. It's about $50 a load (minimum charge) to drop a trailer load off at the local recycling refuse center and I suspect I'll need to do two loads. A dumpster may run about $400, but I just have to put stuff in it and be done with the task. I'll make that decision after I get all the good stuff out and can see what's headed to refuse/recycling.
    --

Jim, I've been able to give away lots of stuff deemed junk. Perhaps put small amount of the junk stuff near the curb with a free sign and see how quickly it is taken away. At least in my neck of the woods, you'd be able to completely avoid taking/sending any to the refuse center.

I have had good luck with putting things like old windows and lumber out by the road, or advertising them as free or for a very low price on Craigslist, and someone always comes and takes them away. Maybe you're in a sufficiently upscale area that this method wouldn't work, but it could save you some disposal fees and get some materials to someone who would reuse them.

I have already disposed of a huge amount of stuff via donations and putting things out. But I can only "put out" so much, especially with the property listed for sale and in the price range it is. I'm already at the point that I have to deal with a huge pile of "stuff" from the first floor. The folks who used to grab things for free have discovered that being in the "paid junk disposal" business is more lucrative in this area, too. It is what it is and I have to accelerate the process at this point. I'll likely be spending most of the weekend working on the upstairs because of the projected temperature drop. I don't expect many showings because it's a holiday weekend so that helps, too, since there will be few interruptions. (gotta leave the property during showings)
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I don't expect many showings because it's a holiday weekend so that helps...
    I wonder if you will be surprised about this. The real estate market is on fire around here. Was reading a story today about the local house market. A typical looking home on the market had 150 showings and 30 offers over a holiday weekend. The winning offer was significantly over the asking price.

Good luck!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Brian, the market is very hot, but not as hot for properties in the higher price range this one is going for. (we lost six before scoring on the one we're living in now and that required throwing money just to be in the winner's circle) It's also a very unique property in many respects. We did have a showing today that was a couple who literally arrived last night from a cross country drive from LA. They are looking for "the quintessential Bucks County home" and their buyer agent had ours on her list. Usually I don't meet these folks, but I happened to be there to pick up my ramps as it was mowing day and I forgot to bring them back yesterday. It was nice to say "hi" to them.
    --------

No work on the shop move today...mowed both properties and "stole" some specimen plants from the "old" property for the new one. And then I had to get them in the ground. I really wanted to have some of the hellebore and ligularia as well as several varieties of ferns, wild geranium, and several other things at our new place. This weekend is supposed to be cool, so I'll be attacking the upstairs of the shop building which means moving more lumber to storage, dealing with some donations and making the "to be recycled" pile a whole lot bigger. I'll also be submitting the permit application for the sub-panel for the temporary shop in the "Garage" after having reviewed things with the code/zoning officer...who is a very nice fellow.
    --

Good luck with everything Jim . I've always enjoyed your opinions thru the years , thanks .

My favorite over the top real estate transaction of the year goes to a house in Idaho I was reading about. Idaho's housing market is beyond on fire, as people are fleeing California, Oregon, and Washington like they are on fire.

The house sold for $100K over list price. Cash, of course. And the sellers were able to live in the house rent-free for 5 months after closing.

And the buyers also had to buy the sellers a new house!!!!!!!
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    My favorite over the top real estate transaction of the year goes to a house in Idaho I was reading about. Idaho's housing market is beyond on fire, as people are fleeing California, Oregon, and Washington like they are on fire.

The house sold for $100K over list price. Cash, of course. And the sellers were able to live in the house rent-free for 5 months after closing.

And the buyers also had to buy the sellers a new house!!!!!!!

I wish I could get a deal even remotely as good as that for the property we're selling. LOL My daughter and her partner would like it even more 'cause it would further extend their rent-free living situation. (They are caring for the property until it's sold so they can save money for their own place)
    --