Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

Looking good Jim. Hard to believe the shop is only a couple of months old.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I agree-i've been working on my for three years now and you're ahead of me! I can see why you didn't think you could fit the slider...
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Really coming together nicely Jim...congrats.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I agree-i've been working on my for three years now and you're ahead of me! I can see why you didn't think you could fit the slider...
    Yes, it would have been a physical impossibility to have the slider...even a smaller version...in this particular space. That's why I decided to sell it to Jeff instead of paying to move it twice and store it for up to a year. I'll buy a new one when I have a proper building to put it in. The downside is I don't have a sliding saw to use right now (although I know someone I can probably bribe if I really need to use one for something). The upside is that I can make this an opportunity to try out the bandsaw/tracksaw/miter saw combination for awhile and see where it works and where it fails. That question sometimes comes up in the GW&PT forum from time to time. I can work on my hand-tool skills a little, too...I do use them, but will use them more in this space for practical reasons. I do have some more adjustments to make in the space before I'm "done" setting up the temporary shop. Once I have my Kubota over there, I'm likely going to store the guitar bench in the shed out back to try and get a solution for being able to use the miter saw "in" the shop rather than on the driveway. I don't want to have to open the big door to the direct heat/humidity if I can avoid it. I still have to cram the lathe in...it's still at the old shop in pieces...and it will move at the same time I move the tractor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That is a great temporary space Jim. Nicer than a few of my permanent ones ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looking good Jim. I am hoping to have time this winter to get mine finished up but it is great to see your progress.
    Regards,

Kris

I forget you timeline, but you might want to order your new slider now...and you might have when you move to your next shop the way things are going!

I'll be very interested to hear about your experience without a table saw as one with a small, mostly hand tool shop.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    I forget you timeline, but you might want to order your new slider now...and you might have when you move to your next shop the way things are going!

I'll be very interested to hear about your experience without a table saw as one with a small, mostly hand tool shop.

Best,
    Chris
    Not really possible to order the machine or even begin the building project until our other property is sold. But yes, lead times will be taken into consideration when I am actually able to order.
    --

Ah..."tunes" are in properly.
    --

Inspector finally came by yesterday morning...we mostly talked about his future lathe plans, but he did leave a signed approval for final electrical. 'Didn't even look at anything...."why am I hear exactly?" "You said you couldn't approvie it the last time because I didn't have even one circuit in the panel yet." "Oh, ok. Looks nice to me." I hope I get the same dude for inspections when it comes time to do the building out back. LOL (And yes, the work was actually meticulously and anally done...it's my way)
    --

In this temporary shop, I've had to combine some things together that normally would be spaced in a larger space. Since I'm without any form of table saw right now, depending on my bandsaw, tracksaw and miter saw for most work (I sold my big slider so I didn't have to pay to move it twice with paid storage between the moves) I freed up some space by deciding to move my dedicated guitar bench into storage in our on-property shed...I can do everything I would normally do on my other surfaces...and combine the downdraft/assembly table with my MFT as one longer workstation. I lose the adjustable height feature of the downdraft/assembly table for the moment (Noden Adjust-A-Bench Craftsman kit based), but gain additional material support for the MFT. Of course, I had to shim up the downdraft/assembly table just a little so it was at the same height and coplanar with the MFT. The floor slopes in a wonky way from the wall. With the downdraft/assembly bench at its lowest setting, the down slope side had to go up just a hair under a half inch and the up slope end had to come up about 3/16". Fortunately, I had material hanging around that worked perfectly.

Moving the dedicated guitar bench out gets me space for the drum sander/OSS station that will share a DC drop with the downdraft table. This temporary shop is really coming together now and that's good because I have a bunch of work piled up...like some small tables, etc.

IMG_E9778.jpg

This poor thing gets banished to the "wood shed"...well it's a shed made of wood at least. I really do look forward to putting a new shop building once the old property is sold so I can have all my stuff in the same place!

IMG_9779.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In this temporary shop, I've had to combine some things together that normally would be spaced in a larger space. Since I'm without any form of table saw right now, depending on my bandsaw, tracksaw and miter saw for most work (I sold my big slider so I didn't have to pay to move it twice with paid storage between the moves) I freed up some space by deciding to move my dedicated guitar bench into storage in our on-property shed...I can do everything I would normally do on my other surfaces...and combine the downdraft/assembly table with my MFT as one longer workstation. I lose the adjustable height feature of the downdraft/assembly table for the moment (Noden Adjust-A-Bench Craftsman kit based), but gain additional material support for the MFT. Of course, I had to shim up the downdraft/assembly table just a little so it was at the same height and coplanar with the MFT. The floor slopes in a wonky way from the wall. With the downdraft/assembly bench at its lowest setting, the down slope side had to go up just a hair under a half inch and the up slope end had to come up about 3/16". Fortunately, I had material hanging around that worked perfectly.

Moving the dedicated guitar bench out gets me space for the drum sander/OSS station that will share a DC drop with the downdraft table. This temporary shop is really coming together now and that's good because I have a bunch of work piled up...like some small tables, etc.

IMG_E9778.jpg

This poor thing gets banished to the "wood shed"...well it's a shed made of wood at least. I really do look forward to putting a new shop building once the old property is sold so I can have all my stuff in the same place!

IMG_9779.jpg
    That first pic reminds that you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many clamps. Also, I have a wooden “shed” where you could store your bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    That first pic reminds that you can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many clamps. Also, I have a wooden “shed” where you could store your bench.
    LOL...believe it or not, there have been a few times when every single one of those parallel clamps have been in use and had to be supplemented with my "stash" of backup pipe clamps. And thank you for your kind offer to "store" my guitar bench. But I'm not going to lift it again until my new shop building is built. I hope....on both accounts.
    --

Yesterday, I got the last of the "extraneous" stuff out of the temporary shop and while I have a few little things to still attend to, it's pretty much what it's going to be, sans the lathe that will get move when it gets moved. So here are a couple of views...they make the place look a lot larger than the 21x21 space it is. LOL

IMG_9800.jpg IMG_9801.jpg
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yesterday, I got the last of the "extraneous" stuff out of the temporary shop and while I have a few little things to still attend to, it's pretty much what it's going to be, sans the lathe that will get move when it gets moved. So here are a couple of views...they make the place look a lot larger than the 21x21 space it is. LOL

IMG_9800.jpg IMG_9801.jpg
    Looks great! Side note, what do you do with the computer for the CNC? Trying to come up with ideas for mine.