Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

Looks great Jim!

Blog Entries
    Looks like some well thought out use of space to me. That should be a great place to make some sawdust.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jenson View Post
    Side note, what do you do with the computer for the CNC? Trying to come up with ideas for mine.
    The computer setup is pretty much identical to what it was in the old shop; the CPU is on a tray under the CNC machine and the 25" screen is on a wall mount on the side wall with wireless keyboard and wireless rodent on top of the smaller tool cabinet that I put a "nice" top on. Power, Ethernet and HDMI in this temporary shop flow through a protective, surface mount channel on the floor between the wall and the CNC machine.

IMG_9628.jpg

IMG_9626.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the explanation.

I did a little rearranging yesterday after completing the setup of the cabinet saw and my BenchDog router station. This is SO much better and leaves me space to pull out the drum sander and so forth when needed but also have potential assembly space for something larger should that kind of project come along. I took advantage of that today as I had a bunch of CNC work to do for a friend and having both the bench and the saw top "handy" made for a lot of utility. I'm going to make a "bridge" to go between the saw and the CNC so that when I'm cutting (ripping) material, nothing will fall into the gap. The "bridge' will get stowed when not actually in use so it doesn't interfere with the CNC machine. Should I find over time that I have to rip material longer than about 4.5 feet regularly, I have the option of swapping the saw and the main bench...'just would have to make some changes for dust collection to make that work. (please note that the panoramic photos make the space look much larger than it physically is!

IMG_9894.jpg IMG_9895.jpg

On another note, I was able to keep the temperature in the space to about 83ºF by keeping the doors to the house open and a big-butt fan blowing cooler air toward the shop. That was with the outside temp at about 96ºF (106º "real feel" today). That insulated garage door is pretty good...and there's no insulation in the garage walls. Unfortunately, when I got to a long CNC cut late in the say, I had to close the doors because of noise which meant no fan blowing in fresher air. It was up to 87ºF by the time the work was done at about 17:15. I really do think I need to bite the bullet and get a minisplit for the space so noise will not be a problem and so I can work on the hot-hot days. There will still be too much noise for days when Professor Dr. SWMBO is playing professor on Zoom or working on something that requires concentration. That's a big downside to a shop attached to the house as this temporary space is.
    --

Jim, are you still happy with the blastgate piping? I am still getting quotes re Nordfab and Blastgate.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Jim, are you still happy with the blastgate piping? I am still getting quotes re Nordfab and Blastgate.
    OH, yea...great company. I've had to order a few more doo-dads and had them within two days of sending an email. Great customer service. Product is also excellent. As has been noted in a few threads, the clamp together stuff is "clamp compatible", too, so you can source from Blastgate, Nordfab, Grizzly, etc., to get what you need, the exception being the sleeves used for making shorter lengths..slightly different pipe diameters require you use the same brand of sleeve and pipe for those.
    --