Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

And so it begins...time to setup the temporary shop at the new property

Time to cram all of this...

IMG_9434.jpg

Into this...

IMG_E9430.jpg

Upsides...the electric panels are in that garage in the back, left corner so dealing with power for machines will be relatively straight forward. The kitchen is close for snacks as is the powder room to recycle said snacks. Downsides...about 440 sq ft instead of about 700 sq ft. Uninsulated and unconditioned...except for the insulated garage door which is a very nice quality unit. Neighbors are closer and the door opens to the street. But...it's a place to work until I can get a building up in the back yard (probably something like 24' x 36') once the old property sells and I can get through the local jurisdiction dance as well as escalating budgetary concerns. It's actually already being used as a "mobile shop" as I work through things that need attention in the new house. I also rented a storage locker locally where I'll park the majority of my material inventory and anything that will not need to be used.

Aside from getting the machinery, benches and tool cabinets moved "real soon now", I need to get lighting up and take care of the electrical needs. I did sell my slider so I didn't have to pay to store it for up to a year and will buy a new one once it has a place to live. I'm going to try the bandsaw/tracksaw combination for a bit to see if I can get by...which is likely since I use the CNC for a lot of the things I enjoy doing. It will certainly be an adventure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Are you wanting to add heat and/or air to the garage, or are you going to grin & bear it until the new shop is up?

I'm guessing the left wall of the garage is an outside wall. Is it insulated? If adding heat & air, is it feasible to do it on/through that wall? And what would you do with it after the new shop is up? Portable units can use a window opening, that might not look out of place after it is a garage again. Or you could vent through the lower panel on the garage door, and repair/replace that panel after the new shop is up.

It may not be practical to put the CNC on a mobile base, especially on a sloped (and likely not even flat) garage floor. Probably everything else should be on a mobile base, if not already.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

You sir have your hands full. Best wishes and good luck.

Great to see, you are getting setup. Looking forward to following your adventure, as you build your new shop.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    Are you wanting to add heat and/or air to the garage, or are you going to grin & bear it until the new shop is up?

I'm guessing the left wall of the garage is an outside wall. Is it insulated? If adding heat & air, is it feasible to do it on/through that wall? And what would you do with it after the new shop is up? Portable units can use a window opening, that might not look out of place after it is a garage again. Or you could vent through the lower panel on the garage door, and repair/replace that panel after the new shop is up.

It may not be practical to put the CNC on a mobile base, especially on a sloped (and likely not even flat) garage floor. Probably everything else should be on a mobile base, if not already.

-- Andy - Arlington TX
    Andy, I am undecided about what I'm going to do about "conditioning" the space and yes, that outside wall is hollow and uninsulated. I'm more worried about summer than winter, honestly...and am very carefully eying a portable AC unit that I saw in Costco yesterday that's good for that size space. I'm not a fan of humidity and we have a bit of that here in the Delaware Valley. I'd have to cut a vent in the wall for it since there's no window and I'm not going to bugger that insulated garage door, however.

My CNC weighs nearly a thousand pounds. I do have casters for it, but they are only on it for moving purposes. Once I decide on a location, it will be back on the floor and shimmed level just as it is in the previous shop which also has a sloped floor. Everything else is mobile capable already so I'm good there. I'll have the same challenge with my main bench and the slope...when I lock it down in a position, it will also have to be shimmed level as it has been.
    --

Lights, camera, action! You have a lot of constraints on this shop because it is temporary, but it should be functional. It is somewhat freeing to do something simple and cheap. Reversible is harder but screw holes in the walls are easy to fix.

May I suggest a shed roof or at least a salt box roof oriented for solar panels. If you have time of day metering facing west has advantages over south.
    Bill D

As they say, be like putting two bowling balls in a marble bag. Were there's a will there's a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Andy, I am undecided about what I'm going to do about "conditioning" the space and yes, that outside wall is hollow and uninsulated. I'm more worried about summer than winter, honestly...and am very carefully eying a portable AC unit that I saw in Costco yesterday that's good for that size space. I'm not a fan of humidity and we have a bit of that here in the Delaware Valley. I'd have to cut a vent in the wall for it since there's no window and I'm not going to bugger that insulated garage door, however.
    I'd be more inclined to look for an inexpensive mini-split for just a few bucks more. I've had a few of those portable AC units in different apartments I'd lived in and they never seemed to last more than one season or cool all that effectively. Emptying the water reservoir when it's humid gets old after a while too.

Blog Entries
    Glad you're getting a jump on temporary digs Jim. I just packed my gear into the garage expecting to have a new shop within a few months. Now nearly two years later I have a workable temp-shop but it is only really useful for small items . . . and of course fabrication for the new shop build when required.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It will certainly be an adventure. I can’t imagine how I’d downsize but making the decision to sell the slider certainly will help. Good luck and have fun
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Jim,
    I will certainly be over when I see the CraigsList curb alert posted!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

For all the decisions to be made, for all the turmoil and uncertainty, you are a lucky man to have such an opportunity. I look forward to following your progress...both backwards and forwards.

Looks nice, Jim. Hopefully that electrical panel has capacity for your needs. Let me know if you need any help moving the easy stuff. LOL
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    May I suggest a shed roof or at least a salt box roof oriented for solar panels. If you have time of day metering facing west has advantages over south.
    Bill D
    Not really relevant here...
    --