Thread: GF White Poly Question

GF White Poly Question

I've searched the forum and couldn't find a direct answer to my question. This means it's probably a dumb question....but here goes.

I am building kitchen cabinets and I am ready to start finishing. For the boxes I am using General Finishes conversion varnish, which I will spray with my Fuji Q5 gun. I plan to do this in my garage, which I am turning into a temporary spray booth. I have a separate air line respirator with full hood - so I think I am good with regards to safety. My question is regarding the GF White Poly I intend to spray the doors with. Can I take this to a local paint shop, such as Benjamin Moore, and have them tint it to the color of my choice? I already have two gallons of the white poly. If I can't use it for this project, I can use it for something else. I did try emailing and calling General Finishes HQ - never got a return email or call-back.

If the White Poly I already have cannot be tinted/color matched locally can anyone recommend which Benjamin Moore product would be best to spray on the doors? Would their acrylic furniture-specific paint be an acceptable alternative? I have brushed this on other projects in the past and it's been great.

Thanks
    SB

Certainly GF's White Poly can be tinted to at least pastel colors with UTC's. Whether or not it can be tinted to deep saturated colors is a question I don't have the answer for but I suspect it cannot. The larger issue is that w/o a recipe a local paint shop won't know how much RBY, etc. to add to get the color you want. You would likely be better off using TC's EM-6500 and have them tint it to whatever color you want. You can pick any BM color, I believe. Another option is to use Lenmar's MegaVar WB. It's sold by BM and can be tinted to any of their colors.

John