Thread: Drawer closures

Drawer closures

Planning a bed with drawers under it based on this design:

https://store.chadhaus.com/products/loft-bed

I notice it has cleats on the side, but it also mentions "drawers with soft-closing/self-closing hardware for fluid action". Does this imply under-drawer slides or maybe slides that don't extend to the front of the drawers? I definitely don't want any visible hardware, but it would be nice to have smooth sliding.

Perhaps, just perhaps..... Maybe the cleat on the drawer side is the primary sliding surface for the drawer, like drawers before modern metal slides became available. The softclose feature might come from a device intended to retrofit on to drawers. Here's one example -- https://www.wwhardware.com/titus-sof...ce-for-drawers . But I'm not convinced this approach would add up to "fluid action".

Given your stated objectives I'd do the obvious -- undermount slides. You get smooth running, soft-close, and invisible hardware.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 05-16-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Almost certainly they use side mounted standard soft close hardware. It is visible from the side when open. Quite frankly those drawers are rather sad, very little storage room in reality. If they used bottom mount drawer slides they would be even shallower and totally useless.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Almost certainly they use side mounted standard soft close hardware. It is visible from the side when open. Quite frankly those drawers are rather sad, very little storage room in reality. If they used bottom mount drawer slides they would be even shallower and totally useless.
    Click through the several pics on the web site. In one of them you can see the side of a drawer. There's no visible sidemounted slide, and there's the mysterious cleat Aaron refers to.

Interesting! The cleat could be running on a wheel with the soft close hardware mounted further back as there is a lot of room under the bed.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!