Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I find someone who can do a small CNC job or two?

How do I find someone who can do a small CNC job or two?

With a friend I'm working on a (very) small production run of hand-cranked, self-playing organs. There are a few parts that would be very amenable to CNC cutting and would save me a lot of work making templates. I have VCarve files (which I have no way of opening) from the guy who published the plans we are following.

How best to find someone who might do this work for us? I'm in the metro Boston area, but the finished pieces are small enough that they could be shipped. Starting material is baltic birch plywood.

Roger, we permit such requests in the Classifieds here now, just in case you want to try that option. I've taken number of small jobs that way, but as you know, I'm current shut down because of the move.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might try the Job Opportunities and Services forum at Woodweb or the Shopbot and Camheads forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Roger, we permit such requests in the Classifieds here now, just in case you want to try that option. I've taken number of small jobs that way, but as you know, I'm current shut down because of the move.
    Thanks Jim, I thought that was verboten, so I phrased my post carefully ; I was guessing there were 'Creekers with the right capability. Sorry to have caught you mid-move!

If you just look at people who post in the CNC forums you can probably reach out to them and find someone or like Jim said put up a classified, someone will jump at it for sure.

I have the capability but currently not the time. At least for another month or two but someone should jump at the chance.

Sounds like a pretty cool project to put up some pics of.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

One thing that folks should know about Roger's need...the files he has are in Vectric format so you'll need to be a VCarvePro or Aspire user unless you want to completely reinvent the wheel.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    One thing that folks should know about Roger's need...the files he has are in Vectric format so you'll need to be a VCarvePro or Aspire user unless you want to completely reinvent the wheel.
    Thanks Jim-- I don't even know what that means, but I'm guessing it's important! So much to learn. CNC is a very tempting rabbit hole that I'm trying to avoid, having way too many hobbies already. I have access to a good laser cutter, which has been great fun and quite helpful on a couple of projects, but that seems easy in comparison.

I shut all my machines off when my wife died last year and am just now starting to get back to them. I am currently getting my lasers set up and haven't touched the cnc yet. If you can't find anyone else and want them shipped I might be able to help you out but hopefully you'll find someone who is ready to do them and closer to you.

I can take a look at it for you, but since I'm in Canada, shipping costs may/likely will kill it. I have VCarvePro 10.5
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Thanks Jim-- I don't even know what that means, but I'm guessing it's important! So much to learn. CNC is a very tempting rabbit hole that I'm trying to avoid, having way too many hobbies already. I have access to a good laser cutter, which has been great fun and quite helpful on a couple of projects, but that seems easy in comparison.
    The files you sent me to review are all in Vectric (a particular software provider) file format. So anyone wanting to use the files directly needs to be a Vectric software user. The software is common, of course, but not everyone uses it. Folks who use other vendor's CAD/CAM software would need to create new files.
    --

And if anyone is like me I am still using Aspire 8.5 no need for me to upgrade so if it was made with a newer version they could not open it.

Depending on the vectors in the files, they could be exported to something else prob pretty easily. I am current on Aspire (10.5) if the files are new. Depending on the job and the baltic birch you want I could prob cut it for you too if needed. I am in IL. How many and what size is prob important.

mike@thewoodworker.net is my email address.

Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a couple folks looking at the job now, I won't ask anyone else to spend time on it unless it turns out that neither of them can do it. Thanks for all the responses, I'm learning more about this every day.

sounds good
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you run out of current options, I’ll take a look.