Thread: milling service in Porltand, OR

milling service in Porltand, OR

Hello,

I'm mostly a hand tool woodworker, so thought it'd be ok to post this here... I have a friend who is cutting down a sizable holly tree in her yard in Portland, OR. I live in Maine. Holly is one of my favorite woods and I'd love to have it milled and left with her. It'd be a relatively small job as it's just a single tree. Does anyone know of anyone who could help me with this? They'd need to travel to her, mill the wood, and leave it with her. Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have!

David

Blog Entries
    My experience with holly was from a neighbor cutting a large tree and letting me have some of the larger pieces. It saved him the dump costs.

Split Holly Stump.jpgHolly Logs.jpg

After posting here, it was learned that holly needs to be dried immediately after cutting or it will start to spalt right away. Even with the dark streaks it is still a nice wood.

There is a person in Rainier, Oregon > http://creationwoods.com/ < A few years ago when my thoughts were to have some trees milled he gave me a quote of $600 minimum just to come out and set up his saw. My property is closer to him than Portland.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/ < is in Portland and specializes in harder to find species of wood. They may be able to help find a more reasonable way to have the wood milled.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-15-2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Perhaps someone with an Alaskan chainsaw mill?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Ask on the Forestry Forum.

Thanks so much for the input! Jim -- I'll definitely get ib touch with GlimmerWood this week!