Thread: Tormek getting a lot more tempting

Tormek getting a lot more tempting

Regretting selling my older version, after making more mess than I realized using a dry grinder in the old houses I work on, I've been reluctant to buy the new version, partly because I really didn't want the standard wheel, which makes the price pretty high, and partly hoping they'll come out with one with a reverse.

Anyway, I just noticed that you can now order a "Custom" setup, only buying the wheel/wheels you want, which looks like it drops the price down to a less painful level.

I haven't really spent any time figuring it up, but at least, it looks more promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Regretting selling my older version, after making more mess than I realized using a dry grinder in the old houses I work on, I've been reluctant to buy the new version, partly because I really didn't want the standard wheel, which makes the price pretty high, and partly hoping they'll come out with one with a reverse.

Anyway, I just noticed that you can now order a "Custom" setup, only buying the wheel/wheels you want, which looks like it drops the price down to a less painful level.

I haven't really spent any time figuring it up, but at least, it looks more promising.
    Tom,

I've had an on/off, love/hate relationship with my Tormek for years. Currently I'm in the love position mostly because I may have finally figured out how to use both the Japanese wheel and the buffing wheel. My experience with the Tormek diamond wheel is it is too rough and is difficult to remove all the deep scratches after use. I've gone back to using the standard wheel (course dressed) followed by the Japanese to clean the cutting edge. It is not as fast as freehand but gets close enough to be no bother. I've a CBN wheel as well but I still find the standard wheel the best for initial grinding unless the cutter is really damaged.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Tom,

I've had an on/off, love/hate relationship with my Tormek for years. Currently I'm in the love position mostly because I may have finally figured out how to use both the Japanese wheel and the buffing wheel. My experience with the Tormek diamond wheel is it is too rough and is difficult to remove all the deep scratches after use. I've gone back to using the standard wheel (course dressed) followed by the Japanese to clean the cutting edge. It is not as fast as freehand but gets close enough to be no bother. I've a CBN wheel as well but I still find the standard wheel the best for initial grinding unless the cutter is really damaged.

ken
    I’ve been tempted again lately, as well, although like Ken I’ve heard folks talk about scratches from the diamond wheels and also questions about durability. While the diamond wheels may be fine for turners, it seems the standard wheel and/or Japanese wheel are still preferred for most woodworking tools. And of course, that Japanese wheel is $$$!

Thanks.
    Kevin

Tormek lover here on my second one. Take the red pill Tom
    Aj

I use a CBN wheel on my Tormek and absolutely love the coarseness of it. The slow speed is my biggest complaint about the Tormek and the coarser wheel helps alleviate this issue some. I also just use my Tormek for rough grinding once my micro-bevel gets too big therefore I don't need a nice finish on my coarsely ground edge. Once I have the rough grind all nice a square off the Tormek then I switch over to Shapton waterstones. Using the Tormek as just a rough grinding tool might be slightly excessive but I much prefer the control I have at keeping my edges nice a square without the fear of overheating compared to a grinder.

I snagged the the green one nearly 20 years ago on double clearance from Rockler. I'm definitely not giving it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I use a CBN wheel on my Tormek and absolutely love the coarseness of it. The slow speed is my biggest complaint about the Tormek and the coarser wheel helps alleviate this issue some. I also just use my Tormek for rough grinding once my micro-bevel gets too big therefore I don't need a nice finish on my coarsely ground edge. Once I have the rough grind all nice a square off the Tormek then I switch over to Shapton waterstones. Using the Tormek as just a rough grinding tool might be slightly excessive but I much prefer the control I have at keeping my edges nice a square without the fear of overheating compared to a grinder.
    Hi Tony, what grit wheel do you have and is it one of the Tormek brands or another?

Thanks.
    Kevin