Thread: What's up with Taunton Press?

What's up with Taunton Press?

DW and I have just noticed that our subscriptions to Fine Woodworking and Fine Gardening seem to have expired in the last six months with nothing to mark their passing. Typically you are deluged with renewal requests, both electronic and paper, but in these two cases, nada. I don't object to less spam, certainly, but I would have renewed both of these (I was a charter subscriber to FWW long ago, and kept it up continuously until now) Seems like an odd way to run a subscription business. Of course it is telling that at least half a year needed to go by before I missed it.

They may have sent notifications that ended up in your "spam folder" could be one explanation. Some of the spam management systems can be a bit aggressive, especially when some folks will report legitimate mass mailings to be spam.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I can't answer your question, but just got my renewal notice that mine expires in Oct. They're billing my card now. Seems odd.

Taunton also recently sold Fine Cooking to Meredith Corporation.

I subscribe to both FWW and FHB. This year has been preposterous. Have received dozens of emails, stating "we hate to loose you, but if you renew now...." . Well, I renewed. Now they "hate to loose me" for the next renewal 14 months away. Like 2-3 times a week. I'll trade problems with you.

jeff

I didn't want my "Unlimited Membership" at FWW to expire but couldn't get to the membership to look for an expiration date. I was chatting with Dave Richards online and he offered to look into it. He said they had farmed out the customer service recently. The person he contacted said my membership showed it was good until spring 2022.

If you have an account there and sign in, IIRC there is a notice there that they are going through a software update/modernization.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

That's what I expected. I must have really offended them! I was really expecting them to auto-renew, but apparently they didn't. Still deciding whether I want to re-up now, given that I haven't particularly missed it.

I actually review all my spam, I have the ISP filtering turned off and use SpamSieve on a local machine, which works very well. Once a day I scroll through to catch the odd false positive and then trash them en masse. It only takes about 10 seconds a day, so I keep up with it.

I think they have also stopped selling the print version on newsstands
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I think they have also stopped selling the print version on newsstands
    FWW is still delivering the print version to my home. Let's don't kill them off.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

i got notices .unfortantly i paid two of them and now have 7yrs of FHB .oh well i'm good for another 7 .

Yes, I too received a FWW renewal in April notice BUT my subscription doesn't expired until December....................are they money strapped and need advanced sales? A sign of things to come with their future existence? The print business is going GREEN, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    Yes, I too received a FWW renewal in April notice BUT my subscription doesn't expired until December....................are they money strapped and need advanced sales? A sign of things to come with their future existence?............
    Was the same way back in the 90's and 2000's . Send out early for renewals and of course the magazine came early. Dropped both subscriptions and go to the library once every two or three years check out the back issues and find a little something new to read. Still have not signed up again to either one.
    Ron
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-17-2021 at 8:44 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging