Thread: Which Band saw to buy

Which Band saw to buy

I’ve narrowed my search for a larger bandsaw down to a 19” 3 hp Shop Fox, 18” 3hp Jet or the 18” 3hp laguna. Anyone have any pros or cons on these saws. Thanks

To me it came down to the guides. I eventually went with the Laguna for the ceramic guides

The one with the pointy black hat on top.

That bandsaw turned me into a newt!

I would add a Grizzly to your list unless you dislike the brand. I have an older version of this one that has a footbrake instead of the nicer motor brake. Its awesome. Equivalent quality to the Shop Fox and Laguna versions I've seen/used.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...brake/g0514x2b

I don't know about the Jet saw but other than the guides the only difference between the Laguna and the Shop Fox (Grizzly) is the resaw capacity and the trunion for the table. I gave up the extra capacity of the Laguna for the much beefier Grizzly's trunion. I think either would serve you just fine but I make turning blanks on my saw. Being green wood they can be very heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    I would add a Grizzly to your list unless you dislike the brand. I have an older version of this one that has a footbrake instead of the nicer motor brake. Its awesome. Equivalent quality to the Shop Fox and Laguna versions I've seen/used.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...brake/g0514x2b
    I also owned this bandsaw for a time. I thought it was very good but with a few issues. The cheesy plastic handwheels. The table wasn't ground flat and the replacement table was even worse. HATED the front facing dust port and dust collection wasn't the best. But compared to its competition it stood out as the best buy when I purchased it.

Sold it and now have this Powermatic PM1500 on order. I wanted a bandsaw that took up less space but still had some bigger saw features. It's 3hp with 14" of resaw capacity. Throat capacity of the larger 19" Grizzly wasn't something I ever really used and I can't see resawing anything larger than 14 inches.

In this same price range is the Rikon 10-347, 18in with 19in resaw and 4hp. Several nice safety features too. The Shopfox if fully tricked out would be my choice.

Grizzly & Shop Fox are the same brand, made in the same locations. Grizzly is the direct sales market & Shop Fox is the Retail version.

I looked at them last year and the Jet wasn't made as well. I wanted the Laguna & it was a nice saw, but I ended up with the Grizzly 21" with the 5hp motor & the mechanical trunion to move the table. It has an electrical blade brake, too.

Blog Entries