Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mahogany box

Mahogany box

Finished this little box recently. 8” x 12” x 4.5” tall. Ribbon striped mahogany and garnet shellac seem to work well together.
    leather lined bottom.

AE247D05-D3F1-46C5-8056-4AE7EE515C0F.jpg
    20605697-9220-49EE-9EE5-5198E047130D.jpg

C16174A7-784E-4809-93CA-4DE5A554BC87.jpg

I love mahogany. That's a sweet little box. I like the way you hinged it too.
    All hand tool work?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I agree with Fred. The inset door/lid is unusual in that orientation. I like it. Is the lid a bi-fold or is the line simply a design element? How about a peek under the hood?

Yes this is a hand tool project.

the lid has a small lap and I made 2 brass battens to hold the assembly. I also made the buttons that hold the leather strap for the lid stay.

I had considered a frame and panel top but with so much going on with the grain in this piece I decided that simpler was a better approach.

0EF8D4F5-3E1D-4BB6-A9B8-49E31352EB5D.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Brese; 05-13-2021 at 10:38 PM.

Nice, Ron. I too like the inset lid...don’t see that much, but a nice design. The garnet shellac looks great on that mahogany. Well done. Nice dovetails, by the way!

That is a really nice box. I love the wood.

I'm on a box kick lately and that design is a real change of pace from my usual approaches. I may have to give that format a whirl.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The inset lid has the potential to be a wood movement problem, thus the thought to use a frame and panel. However with quarter sawn material and the battens made to isolate the wood movement in the lap it works very well. The brass battens are made so there is very little clearance around the screws at the outer edges and slightly larger thru holes for the fasteners closest to the lap.

Ron

Thanks Phil. I’ve sort of been a bit obsessed with the hand cut dovetails as of late. It’s a very satisfying thing when it goes well.
    Ron

Nice box Ron - lovely wood and very nice workmanship. I 2nd your obsession - I save cutoffs specifically for cutting DT's. Just practice and then into the fire pit. Off the saw is very satisfying indeed.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

That box just begs to be opened! Nice work!

Great job!

That is a beautiful box and I just love it. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so prepare to be flattered as I was recently asked to build a couple of boxes. So unique and so beautifully built...just awesome!!!
    A wannabe woodworker!

Thanks David, be sure to post pics. I’d love to see your take on this piece.

Ron

I like what you have created - very nice.

Thanks for all the compliments about this little project. As I’ve gotten older my interest have leaned toward smaller items assembled with exposed joinery and concise fitting movable parts. It’s a nice challenge that’s very achievable on smaller objects.

Ron