Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer mobility kit (rolling carriage) for A3-31

Hammer mobility kit (rolling carriage) for A3-31

Hi - I have reached out to hammer to figure out the part number for the rolling carriage. I found one in their website but it does not look exactly like the one featured in their official YT video on how to install the kit. The wheels are covered with metal whereas in the video the wheels are bare.

Also - It appears the cost is $261 so after tax and deliver I am estimating $300 - which seems like robbery compared to the parts that comprise the kit - that in no way costs more than $40 in material to make.

So my question is what is the correct part number for that and correct price or is there a non-brand solution to moving the J/P. I even looked into a car jack but it is very hard to find one that fits under 5 inches of clearance in the bottom opening at the base. Any other ideas besides the pallet jack idea (even that is expensive and defeats the purpose of making room in the shop by moving the planer out of the way when not needed). Thanks - Tom.

Tom, the correct PN's for the A3-31 mobility kit are 503-134 (axle kit) and 500-149 (lifting bar). My recollection is that the wheels are exposed. Your pricing sounds correct but I can't discuss numbers here due to TOS. I would call the rep who sold you your machine to confirm. Hope this helps.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I went with a Bora PortaMate 3500. Amazon ($150) https://www.amazon.com/Bora-Portamat...5-4be35d7258cc

It has two fixed wheels and two swivel casters.

On my Hammer F3 Shaper I used the PortaMate 3550, which has 4 swivel casters. I can push this is any direction, spin it 360 degrees on the spot.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 06-12-2020 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hassad View Post
    ... that in no way costs more than $40 in material to make...is there a non-brand solution to moving the J/P...
    There, you've answered your own question. Pull together your $40 worth of parts, lift their design, and make your own.

When I asked about add-on's to get with my A3-41, they actually recommended the PM-3550 mobile base for my needs, since the machine needs to roll lengthwise in and out of it's "parking spot" in my garage shop.

The Hammer mobility kit only allows you to roll the machine broadside and steer (which would be fine if you park it parallel to the wall or similar.) The 3550 has four swivel casters and 4 pop-down feet, so it will roll in any direction.

The 3500 probably would have worked fine (I could put the fixed wheels on one end, so it would roll lengthwise and steer), but I went with the 3550 anyway.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Tom,

I put my A3 31 on the Shopfox heavy duty mobile base. It comes with 2 swivel casters and 2 fixed. Amazon has the swivel casters the base uses and I bought a pair to replace the fixed casters. Drilled new holes so the new casters had clearance and now I can roll the machine in any direction.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I also put my A3 31 on a Shopfox HD base, the model with cast iron wheels. The fixed casters can be oriented on either axis. Placed them the long way for the trip down the drive way into the shop then changed them to short way to move in and out from the wall. Then moved to a new shop and back to long axis to suit. Works well.

I have the Hammer mobility kit on my A3-41. I found a used one between them I ordered the J/P and it arrived. The hammer solution works fine for me, but I don't move the J/P very often.

I installed it right after getting it off of the pallet, using a pallet jack that I rented. The challenge for the hammer or other solutions is how to raise the J/P enough to install the mobility solution.

BTW, I really like my A3-41.

Drill your own axle holes in the plane you want...Rod.

Felder pricing is confusing. Highway robbery on many of their accessories. I kind of regret buying my Hammer machine. I've had some issue with it that should not be there for the price I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    Felder pricing is confusing. Highway robbery on many of their accessories. I kind of regret buying my Hammer machine. I've had some issue with it that should not be there for the price I paid.
    Joshua, I can't comment on what customers perceive as worth or not worth in terms of value but if you're having mechanical issues with your Hammer machine and there's anything I can do to help facilitate getting them solved, PM me.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Yea I ended up building my own mobile base for my A3-31 and N4400. There was no way I was going with their lifting bar BS, that solution is a pain to use IMO and way overpriced.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Build your own or as Rod stated, drill holes for axles in the opposite plane. I built my own when I owned a A3-31. On my AD741 I went with great lakes casters, that is a nice option also.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Hey Erik,
    I'm new to this group. I was doing some research on the A3-31 and came across this thread. Do you know the name and number of the Felder rep that covers central PA?
    For whatever reason, I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private msg.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Klika View Post
    Hey Erik,
    I'm new to this group. I was doing some research on the A3-31 and came across this thread. Do you know the name and number of the Felder rep that covers central PA?
    For whatever reason, I can't seem to figure out how to send you a private msg.

Mark
    Mark, email me: e-dot-loza-at-felder (hyphen sign) group-dot-com and I'll connect you with him. Thanks,

E.
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep