Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are parallel guides worth buying?

When I'm making cuts with the track saw (Dewalt) I either measure from the edge of the wood to some point on the track and clamp or use an adjustable square to the edge of the track. Probably not any more time than setting up a parallel guide.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

When I was doing the cabinets for our house I made my own using wood and readily available parts. It worked very well. Since then haven't used them.
    I decided on this idea as being my best course of action & cancelled my Woodpecker's order.
    Ironically, when I called to cancel the backorder, I was told my order was ready for pickup!
    Oh well - someone else will get them instead. They do have a real backlog.

When I'm making cuts with the track saw (Dewalt) I either measure from the edge of the wood to some point on the track and clamp or use an adjustable square to the edge of the track. Probably not any more time than setting up a parallel guide.
    That's how I do it also. The parallel guides really shine when you are using the track saw to make multiple pieces of the same size.
    I have 30 or so 20" x 30" panels I need to cut out of 1/4" Oak plywood. That's the main reason I wanted the guides.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

What am I missing here, that's only 5 cuts in a stack of 4 sheets of 1/4" ply, I don't see how a new tool would benefit. I'd think most competent cabinet makers could have this done in less time than it took me to type this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    What am I missing here, that's only 5 cuts in a stack of 4 sheets of 1/4" ply, I don't see how a new tool would benefit. I'd think most competent cabinet makers could have this done in less time than it took me to type this.
    I was looking for a softer way to say this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I was looking for a softer way to say this.
    Lol, I do need to work on my subtlety, didn't intend to offend anyone. I was wrong too, it's 6 cuts.
    Last edited by Steve Rozmiarek; 05-16-2021 at 11:21 PM.

LOL! Well, as they say - any excuse for a new tool is a good enough reason...right?
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    LOL! Well, as they say - any excuse for a new tool is a good enough reason...right?
    Lol, that's right!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    My Makita track saw was purchased with even less justification than that (3 cuts), but I was at the point where I had told myself on the previous project "the next time I need to make this kind of cut I am finally going to get a track saw!" And I did. And I quickly realized should have gotten one years ago

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I confess I opened this thread thinking it was about parallel bars used in setting up work on machine tools. I'd actually never seen or heard of these parallel guides before. Now having seen them I don't feel I have been missing anything. I've got 52" rip capability on my Unisaw and just put pencil marks on the wood when I break down plywood with the track saw.

Same here. Although I'm old and thought they were the parallel guide to draft. Does anyone remember drafting before Autocad? Anyways, the benefits of a 52" saw does come in handy. I have my fence set at 0 degrees,vice slightly open so I can use the fence to the left of the blade and cut those small widths from a full sheet if I so choose.