Thread: Free to a good home chisels and plane irons.

Free to a good home chisels and plane irons.

Seriously, toss me US$15 to cover shipping and you can have this stuff.

2 plane irons, one at 2 3/8 inches, the other at 2 9/16 inches, both to heavily pitted to ever be put into service as plane irons. IF you have the free time I have read of folks making marking knives out of these.

3 marples chisels, left behind by a tenant in one of dad's apartments in the 1970s, possible users if you love the make, 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, also a stanley #60 from the same tenant at one inch.

If no takers these will be going to my blacksmith here in the next week or two for his project bin.

US$15 covers flat rate USPS shipping to any USA, Guam, PR, APO or FPO address.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210512_141556[1].jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	457503

If you're willing to split, I'll take the Marples chisels. I don't need the other things - and perhaps someone else will need those. I'll PM you to get your PayPal ID.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I am planning to ship all this stuff to Mike as soon as his payment comes in. If you want the Stanley #60 or the old plane irons speak now or contact Mike later.

EDIT: Items are sold. Box is packed and labeled and in my truck to go to the PO tomorrow.
    Last edited by Scott Winners; 05-13-2021 at 12:08 AM.

Blog Entries
    2 plane irons, one at 2 3/8 inches, the other at 2 9/16 inches, both to heavily pitted to ever be put into service as plane irons. IF you have the free time I have read of folks making marking knives out of these.
    Two of my marking knives are made from an old plane blade > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229968 < the third marking knife (center) was made from a piece of saw blade.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop Made Knives.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	457504

The one with the ebony handle has the curve from where the bolt head can slip through the blade. It provides a comfortable place to rest one's finger with a bit of sanding.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-13-2021 at 1:36 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Scott, I will take the chisels and plane irons. How do you want the $15?
    Loran Galey
    Do good and be good and you will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Galey View Post
    Bet you'll like them. I have a set of those Marples chisels and in a test I did a couple years back, they compared very favorably against LN and Iles, for the work I do. I was pretty surprised because I really wanted an excuse to buy the Ilses.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    - Sir Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Galey View Post
    Scott said he is shipping everything to me. If you want the plane irons (I want the chisels) PM me.

Or, for $15 Scott may be willing to unpack the box and ship the plane irons to you. I don't need or want the plane irons.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I actually like those blue handled chisels. They're our daily users.

Items are indeed all shipped to Mike Henderson. I just emailed him the tracking number. If Mike sells you an old plane iron of mine I am happy for you both. If you buy an old plane iron and make a marking knife I want to buy I will be doubly happy in that my shop is emptier now and I am looking for a spear point marking knife...