Thread: Looking for Stickley Desk plans

Looking for Stickley Desk plans

I've come to a conclusion that I'm not likely to be able to design this desk myself, so I'm looking for plans for the current Stickley Executive Desk, #2272. I have not been able to find plans for it, just wondering if anyone has a lead.

Thanks,
    Dave

Stickley Executive Desk 89-2272.jpg

The design seems simple. Your preferred joinery methods will affect the design.

This example gets very high marks for grain management. In that respect, each desk will be different. To get this result you would have to select the best from a BIG pile of stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    The design seems simple. Your preferred joinery methods will affect the design.

This example gets very high marks for grain management. In that respect, each desk will be different. To get this result you would have to select the best from a BIG pile of stock.
    True story. We toured the Stickley factor a couple years back and got a real education in yield. They hand select lumber for inclusion in their inventory, then again for quality and grain match when the furniture parts are being milled. Our tour guide told us their yield from rough cut lumber was around 50% on QSWO.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    I've come to a conclusion that I'm not likely to be able to design this desk myself, so I'm looking for plans for the current Stickley Executive Desk, #2272. I have not been able to find plans for it, just wondering if anyone has a lead.

Thanks,
    Dave

Stickley Executive Desk 89-2272.jpg
    I'm a real Stickley fan and have searched high and low for good plans. Few exist. I've had better luck going to school on the joinery methods they use and reverse engineering from that.

The Great Book of Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture by Bob Lang has plans for the 503 desk. But as Rob has noted it's mainly about understanding the joinery and then making your own plan. I've built several things from the book and the main advantage of the plans is seeing how it goes together. I always seem to change some dimensions or details along the way.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

It sounds like I need to add the Bob Lang book to my library.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    It sounds like I need to add the Bob Lang book to my library.

Indeed. 350 pages of great info
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Thanks for the input, everyone. Sounds like I ought to get Bob Lang's book and try to find some other plans to follow that I can adjust to turn it into the desk I want. I've never made a desk, so not even sure what the parts are, how the top is strong enough to span the gap, whether those legs just on the outside will be problematic, etc.

+1 on Bob Lang's books. Also, if you've never built a desk, another good book is Andy Charron's book called Desks. He has a lot of background about building desks in general, which would be good for you. He also goes through seven desks design and construction in detail. One of them is a Greene & Greene. G&G is not Stickley, but they're very well-respected American Arts&Crafts designers.