Thread: SawStop and iVAC Pro Tool Plus Tool Sensor

SawStop and iVAC Pro Tool Plus Tool Sensor

Is the current to operate the SawStop ICS electronics enough to activate the iVAC Sensor? In other words will the iVAC Sensor activate by just switching the SawStop to the ON position without operating the saw?

No, mine comes on when it detects a large power draw and shuts off accordingly.

I have the iVac sensor on the 240v cable.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    No, mine comes on when it detects a large power draw and shuts off accordingly.

I have the iVac sensor on the 240v cable.
    Thanks! Placing an order for one now. I often forget to open up the manual blastgate when using the saw. This should take care of that problem.

Please let us know how it works, Steve. I have a similar setup, and just have given up and keep the ICS blast gate open all the time, even when using other machines. Now I can get away with it with a 5HP DC, but it's not the best approach. I keep pushing automating my blast gates further down the list, but I would love to hear of a reasonable way of doing it that doesn't crush the bank.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    I measured the current draw of the electronics once and I think it was about 20 milliamps. I kept forgetting to turn the saw off when I left the shop, so I repurposed a ground fault relay to turn on a light when the saw is on. Now, when I turn off the shop lights, it’s easy to notice that light over the saw.

I received and installed the iVac Switch, Sensor and Blastgate. The Switch is connected to a contactor installed on my dust collector. The single Blastgate and sensor are connected to my tablesaw. All work as advertised but I'm not sure if much was accomplished replacing the previously installed simple remote start for the dust collector and a manually operated blastgate. Apparently at least one blastgate should be open in a dust collection system. That requirement is satisfied with the new setup but opening a manually operated blastgate elsewhere in the setup will not close the one at the tablesaw. It appears the other blastgates would have to be iVacs to automatically close the one at the tablesaw. As it sits now I still have to manually close that one if another dust collection port is used.

"at least one blastgate should be open in a dust collection system."

I recently asked about this and was told that having all blast gates closed is fine (and provides the least load on the DC). Did I misunderstand?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Liebling View Post
    "at least one blastgate should be open in a dust collection system."

I recently asked about this and was told that having all blast gates closed is fine (and provides the least load on the DC). Did I misunderstand?
    I've read both recommendations. The one by iVac is the one I'm following for now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Is the current to operate the SawStop ICS electronics enough to activate the iVAC Sensor? In other words will the iVAC Sensor activate by just switching the SawStop to the ON position without operating the saw?
    Steve,
    I commented below that I once measured the current draw of the electronics at 20ma (that was my recollection). I stopped when I found what I wanted. You might check both legs of the 220 and see if the electronics are driven from just one side. If so, you could hook your iVac to the other side. This might be a good question for tech support.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I received and installed the iVac Switch, Sensor and Blastgate. The Switch is connected to a contactor installed on my dust collector. The single Blastgate and sensor are connected to my tablesaw. All work as advertised but I'm not sure if much was accomplished replacing the previously installed simple remote start for the dust collector and a manually operated blastgate. Apparently at least one blastgate should be open in a dust collection system. That requirement is satisfied with the new setup but opening a manually operated blastgate elsewhere in the setup will not close the one at the tablesaw. It appears the other blastgates would have to be iVacs to automatically close the one at the tablesaw. As it sits now I still have to manually close that one if another dust collection port is used.

Correction on part of what was stated above ... The iVac Blastgate closes after the tablesaw is shut off. In all, the single iVac Blastgate with iVac Switch and Sensor works exactly as expected. All I have to do at the table saw now is turn it on. The blastgate opens and the dust collector starts automatically. Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Steve,
    I commented below that I once measured the current draw of the electronics at 20ma (that was my recollection). I stopped when I found what I wanted. You might check both legs of the 220 and see if the electronics are driven from just one side. If so, you could hook your iVac to the other side. This might be a good question for tech support.
    Unless the SS has a 4-prong plug (2 Hot, Neutral & Ground), it must be running everything off 220. It is not permissible to use ground as a circuit return.

Leaving no blast gates open while the DC is running does not harm the DC, but it may prevent an iVAC blast gate from opening reliably.

-- Andy - Arlington TX