Thread: Jet Air Cleaner Filter

Jet Air Cleaner Filter

Would any filter work or do I need something specific?

I bought multi-pack replacements from Wynn environmental for both the internal and external filters. Even with shipping I thought the price was reasonable.

Any brand will do. Some are better quality than others. Other than that, whatever brand you buy just needs to fit your machine. There are different sizes, but most machines take one of the standard sizes that are widely available. Just make sure you're buying the right size for your machine.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

A quick search on the Wynn Environmental website shows that their replacement for the Jet 1000B is only MERV 7. Is a better filter a good or bad idea for the Jet? That seems quite low. That being said, the filters on my Jets seem to filter out small particles quite well.

But I get mine from www.Filters-now.com and it's a MERV13, but a custom filter (adds little cost). I get all my house HVAC filters from them. No financial interest with them, just a customer.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

There are two types of filters for these ambient shop air cleaners -- a pre-filter and the larger, internal filters. Wynn Environmental sells both types. Their pre-filter is Merv 7. Their internal filter is Merv 14. Generally speaking, the purpose of the pre-filter is to catch larger items, allowing the finer internal filter to catch the small stuff without being clogged prematurely with all the large stuff. Using too fine a pre-filter will reduce air flow and the efficiency of the air cleaner.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    There are two types of filters for these ambient shop air cleaners -- a pre-filter and the larger, internal filters. Wynn Environmental sells both types. Their pre-filter is Merv 7. Their internal filter is Merv 14. Generally speaking, the purpose of the pre-filter is to catch larger items, allowing the finer internal filter to catch the small stuff without being clogged prematurely with all the large stuff. Using too fine a pre-filter will reduce air flow and the efficiency of the air cleaner.
    But won't using an inexpensive, higher MERV pre-filter reduce the frequency of having to replace the much more expensive internal fine-filter? I'm sure you're correct in that it will reduce the air flow through the device, but probably not by a significant amount, yet will filter with far more efficiency.

Cleaning the internal filter on these is no fun at all.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.