Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lumber prices

FAS boards in any thickness 6" or wider.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    I know FAS but what is F1F?
    That means that you are _extremely_ unfit for military service.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    That means that you are _extremely_ unfit for military service.
    That's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    FAS boards in any thickness 6" or wider.
    Thanks- never heard that before.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Kiln dried F1F FAS Poplar is a little north of $3.50 BF from a mill this end of NY State right now. Can't imagine what retailers are selling the stuff for these days...
    Its 2.75 (up from 2.30) and 2.05 (no change) retail from the 2 closest yards.

From the NHLA rules. (National Hardwood Lumber Association)

FAS 1-Face (F1F)
    One face meets FAS requirements and the poorer face meets Number 1 Common grade requirements. Usually combined with FAS lumber, thereby providing at least one FAS face.

We have been having lumber price increases over the last 2 months. For the manufacturer, prices have been depressed for a few years.

We cut a bit 70,000 bdft per day of hardwood found in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Hard maple, soft maple, birch, cherry, - some ash, oak and beech. Our prices are wholesale, but I am in engineering and maintenance so I haven’t been keeping up with pricing.

Last I knew we were selling specialty maple like Birdseye for $3.50 per bdft. Select and better was $2.30. We sell direct but for most of you, we are too far away.

First or Second one Face at least 6" wide. FAS is graded from the poorer face and F1F is graded from the best face. The poorer face is #1 Common.

SEL (Select) is First or Second one Face that is at least 4" wide.

I haven't seen F1F poplar before. Around here it typically is the high demand, hard to get woods like Walnut or Quartered Oak that are F1F or SEL, but I suppose it might be a regional preference thing.

Looks like Rich beat me by a minute

I mostly post in the Neanderthal forum, but thought I would chime in here because finding hardwood lumber in North Florida can be challenging. Poplar has held steady in this region at about $3.50 BF for F1F kiln dried. It has been hit or miss finding it though. I found some 4/4 and 8/4 this week and snapped it up. 4/4, 6/4, 8/4 Black Cherry is easier find but roughly 2A-2B Common ~$3.50 - 4.50 range kiln dried. Wet black cherry is available at about $2.50 BF. (Much to my wife’s chagrin, I’ve had about 100 BF drying outback for about a year. Apparently, the stack is a bit unsightly and seems to attract the occasional rat snake.)The upside is that the number of sawyers has increased from exactly 1 within 50 miles to about 10 over the last year. If someone is looking for a source in North Florida/South Georgia, I’m happy to share.