Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lumber prices

lumber prices

My stock is getting low, I had bought a bunch last year but need some more cherry and maple for some larger projects. Are you all seeing increasing prices on these types of species? I know at my local HD southern yellow pine is off the charts, as well as cedar.

I'm a hardwood lumber supplier and my prices have only gone up maybe 5%, some haven't moved at all. Shop around a little more. You want to find a dedicated hardwood lumber supplier, and not a big box store.

I cant believe anyone buys hardwood from any of the big box stores. Their prices have always been double or more compared to a hardwood supplier.

No I don't ever buy hardwood from there, I was just wondering if the prices I saw on construction lumber were indicative of what I'd see at the supplier. I really stocked up last year and can't really remember what I paid per board foot. I'd guess I was in the $3 range for 8/4 knotty alder and somewhere $5-7 for 8/4 walnut and cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crawford View Post
    No I don't ever buy hardwood from there, I was just wondering if the prices I saw on construction lumber were indicative of what I'd see at the supplier. I really stocked up last year and can't really remember what I paid per board foot. I'd guess I was in the $3 range for 8/4 knotty alder and somewhere $5-7 for 8/4 walnut and cherry.
    Honest question here, wouldn't it be easier to call up your local supplier and ask what their prices are, as opposed trying to figure out what to expect from asking on here? Most places are pretty happy to give you prices over the phone, so that should get you an answer pretty quick

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Honest question here, wouldn't it be easier to call up your local supplier and ask what their prices are, as opposed trying to figure out what to expect from asking on here? Most places are pretty happy to give you prices over the phone, so that should get you an answer pretty quick
    #1) No, not when I'm on Zoom calls all day
    #2) thought I'd get more nationwide feedback or future looking statements possibly here on species I didn't currently want

But if prices aren't going up, then this will not be an interesting thread...

Just bought 4/4 hickory for $4.50 bd ft at hardwood supplier. Price was only up from $4.00 a year ago. I think Most of the prices I see online at the hardwood dealers are up only a little in a year.

Well the prices for hardwood is up where I live, substantially. I talked with the guy I normally buy from when I don't have what I need from my own milling/drying operation. He said most everything is going up weekly. Poplar that I bought for $2/bf last year was $2.45 and that was at least 6 weeks ago so I'm sure it's higher now. 4/4 Walnut is $10 - 14/bf depending upon who you call. 4/4 Cherry and QS white oak are in the $6 - 8 range. I'm pretty sure prices are going to continue to rise for at least a few more months. Curiously, the price of most species of logs hasn't gone up nearly as much. Only walnut is ridiculous around me - $2K/1000bf - for raw logs.

John

I've been lucky. I've cut out the middle man and buy directly from a small mill who's prices are always better than anyone else. I would look around, if you have time, and see if you can find a mill that has what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I've been lucky. I've cut out the middle man and buy directly from a small mill who's prices are always better than anyone else. I would look around, if you have time, and see if you can find a mill that has what you need.
    Same here. I found my guy using the wood miser web site's find a local Sawyer feature
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

We have a little mill and sell some wood and prices have not changed in 13-1/2 years. Ash and hickory and (when available) maple and elm are still $1 a board foot, red oak (when available) is $1.50. I had 400 board feet of red oak sit here all winter, usually it goes within a month or less of being sawn. These prices are for rough cut, wet or partly air dried. Demand is way down from last fall through now. I don't know why.

Most other wood is pretty stable for prices. I get a lot of wood at my local klingspore store as they have a good selection and it’s convenient.

Facebook marketplace also has a lot of wood for sale. Poplar, maple, walnut. Nothing is really in short supply or gone up much in price.

It’s cheap pine lumber at Home Depot and Lowe’s that’s crazy expensive now. I’ve grown to hate pine and I enjoy working with poplar much better for a lot of projects.

I got some flat sawn white oak a month ago. The price was up roughly 50% from a year ago. My supplier said they were having difficulty even finding QSWO. What they had was up 30% from last year. Cherry was up something like 25% or so it seemed.

Not as bas as construction lumber and OSB & CDX. That is through the roof. If the price goes up much more, I might be framing my shop addition in aspen and sheathing it in diagonal furniture grade white pine to save money

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Well the prices for hardwood is up where I live, substantially. I talked with the guy I normally buy from when I don't have what I need from my own milling/drying operation. He said most everything is going up weekly. Poplar that I bought for $2/bf last year was $2.45 and that was at least 6 weeks ago so I'm sure it's higher now. 4/4 Walnut is $10 - 14/bf depending upon who you call. 4/4 Cherry and QS white oak are in the $6 - 8 range. I'm pretty sure prices are going to continue to rise for at least a few more months. Curiously, the price of most species of logs hasn't gone up nearly as much. Only walnut is ridiculous around me - $2K/1000bf - for raw logs.

John
    Kiln dried F1F FAS Poplar is a little north of $3.50 BF from a mill this end of NY State right now. Can't imagine what retailers are selling the stuff for these days...

I know FAS but what is F1F?