Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Tool Cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You are a woodworker. Consider making the cabinet from wood. It'll be fun!
    I generally agree with this, but like Doug mentioned, there are some times when purchasing standard metal tool cabinets can be a valid choice. Sometimes it's about expediency, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought about building one and in some situations a wood cabinet would work good but...with the price of plywood, drawer guides, handles , casters, time building, design issues...its easier and cheaper to buy one , put my tools in it and move on.

Us General 44" cabinet is $500 at harbor freight. Sales will drop it to 450. I already have multiple file cabinets for storage of bigger tools. So to me the other brands have almost useless tall drawers on the bottom. I would rather have two more short drawers for small tool storage then one deep one. I do not want a radio, speakers, lights or a power bar taking away storage space
    harbor freight also has 3-4 colors not just red or black anymore. My store had to order it in. Took 8 days to come in, wheels already attached.
    The side cabinet for $200 is a nice stand alone unit for shaper cutters/ route rbits.
    Bill D.

https://www.harborfreight.com/44-in-x-22-in-double-bank-roller-cabinet-blue-64446.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/145-in...ack-64448.html
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 05-12-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Another vote for US General from Harbor Freight.

Pretty much the biggest value for the buck there is.
    ===========

James Cheever
    Ga Tech NROTC - 1978
    Run Silent, Run Deep
    Commander, USN (Retired)

I'm planning to get one of each color of these, as the organization of the mechanic's shop continues. I think they're a little less than 300 when HF has them on sale. The different colors makes it easier for me to send my helper after something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you are a Sam's Club member, check their website. I got one from the local store and ordered one online. Wide drawers on ball bearing slides, comes with shelf liners for each drawer and is lockable.
    Harbor Freight is also an option.

I received a rollaway from my dad 25 years ago. It was a Costco special; I've no idea who built it, but I'm sure it's an import. Has a bottom cabinet and a full-sized top chest.

Dad passed away this past winter, but the rollaway set -- about to move into its fourth shop -- is barely broken in.

Costco still sells rollaway chests periodically, now bigger and fancier than mine. They look pretty good to me. Haven't really tracked pricing, but I'm guessing they're reasonable for members. They're also known for occasional sales in big ticket items like tool chests.

You have good suggestions already, and I have one more suggestion....color.

I recently bought a 52" Husky, and every time I use it I regret it. The cabinet itself is fine, but I bought a black one. Tools just disappear in those black drawers. If you need a tool and don't turn on the lights (in the daytime) it is very easy to overlook a tool.

If I could switch, ANY other color would be better. Never had this problem with my old red one. To compound the problem, I just happen to have a large selection of black finished wrenches and small tool cases. Idiot alert.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick...use a light colored drawer liner. That's what I've done in my Husky cabinets where I haven't created tool specific inserts out of HDU. (which is also light colored)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Harbor Freight is the place to go
    Have Craftsman from different eras, older Kennedy, Penncraft, Mac and US General is the best at the best price
    Ron

Of course you are right Jim. I have been deciding what to use, as the drawer liner I used years ago deteriorated in time. It is probably better stuff now, and I should just do it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It kind of depends on the amount of use to decide what quality one to get, for what. I have a Yukon one for all the refrigeration tools, that only get used every few years. This cheap Craftsman one is for organizing parts in the middle of a job.

Also, it's nice to have a space for something in particular. The red Husky one has a top drawer long, and big enough for the 3/4, and 1" drive torque wrenches, and breaker bars, and the odd sized compartment for the magnetic drill press.

I bought a black, with gold trim Craftsman industrial box, off craigslist, that's probably from the '80's with the Smokey and the Bandit color scheme. It's heavier construction than anything they make now, and got dedicated to 3/4, and 1" sockets, etc., and large wrenches.

The mid grade Husky one is really pretty good, but this grade Craftsman I would only use for light duty, occasional use. I'd rate the mid grade Husky, and US General about equal, but choose the one that works best for your tools you want to keep in one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-13-2021 at 2:19 PM.

If you buy a used file cabinet get a 5 drawer one. It will cost the same and is the same outside size but 25% more storage. I will let you decide letter or legal.
    Bill D

My garage shop space requires everything but the lathe and drill press to be mobile.

Both of my work/assy benches are built atop Husky mobile workbenches full of drawers, 66" and 46" long. The 66" has an 8" Yost reversible machinist vise (purchased when still made in USA) on one corner. The 46" has three layers of 3/4 inch ply on top, 64" long, with WW vises hung underneath on opposite corners.

I think I'm going to get another 46" unit to slide under my lathe (stock, sans wheels).

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to get a U S General when I get a chance.