Thread: How to Paint Galvanized Metal

How to Paint Galvanized Metal

I need to paint a couple of livestock panels black and install them as a screen under my deck? The panels are 5'X16' and consist of 2"X4" rectangles. These are the type purchased at Tractor Supply and other farm stores. I have an airless sprayer and a Earlex 5500 if either of those would be handy. Any advice on how to clean prime and paint would be appreciated. Specific paint and primer product names would also be appreciated.

It's always been my understanding that to paint galvanized metal, you need to first prime with galvanized paint. Rustoleum makes one. I've used it with great success.

But only with a rattle spray can. I don't know if they sell it by the quart for a sprayer. I would think they would. After priming with it you can paint over it with whatever you want.

too long for me to remember but thinking vynl wash which we used to use before RM Epoxy then Imron after. I stripped car parts in strong reducers one time the imron fell off, the RM epoxy fell off but the vynl wash remained.

Blog Entries
    You have to etch the galvanized first, and a simple way is with white vinegar. It helps also to sand with fine grit or steel wool. Galvanized gets a white oxidizing layer that must be removed. You also must prime it with a suitable primer before painting. Rust oleum makes a primer specifically for this. https://www.rust-oleum.eu/product/3202-galvinoleum

Spraying would certainly be easier and leave a smoother finish.

Using a sprayer on livestock panel is going to waste a whole lot of paint. Most of the paint will just fly past the wires. And you have multiple sixteen-foot panels! A roller would apply a much higher percentage of the paint to the panel. But I'd think very seriously about not painting the panels. They're in the shadows under a deck, and the grey of the galvanizing isn't very bright at all.

difficult to paint.

if you really need black, just buy them already powder coated. we used these for a railing in a remodel and they were nicely finished.

https://www.wildhograiling.com/products/

otherwise, leave them. the shiny will dull a lot over the first few months.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Using a sprayer on livestock panel is going to waste a whole lot of paint. Most of the paint will just fly past the wires. And you have multiple sixteen-foot panels! A roller would apply a much higher percentage of the paint to the panel. But I'd think very seriously about not painting the panels. They're in the shadows under a deck, and the grey of the galvanizing isn't very bright at all.
    I somehow misunderstood and thought these were solid panels, but still a sprayer would make it easier, although certainly a lot of paint would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I somehow misunderstood and thought these were solid panels, but still a sprayer would make it easier, although certainly a lot of paint would be lost.

For painting, get a "hot dog" roller. That's what we used to paint in place picket fences. The purple HF HVLP gun can also be used.

They make short concave rollers for painting pipe.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images