Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craftsman Style Desk Chair Build - Part 1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Great work, Mike. Nothing like a simple inlay pattern to get your juices flowing. A soldering iron or (heaven forbid), your wife’s curling iron and a few spritzes of water will bend stringing nicely as well. I finally sprung for a bending iron, but certainly not necessary.

The 1/8” thick inlay piece is certainly less stress when it comes to leveling with the surrounding surface...hate when I sand through something that took hours to make!

I might add that I often build as I go. Just seems easier to line up parts without lots of pre-measurements and fingers crossed that it all fits. Great build...thanks for posting.
    I’m totally with you Phil – sanding through in commercial veneers is the worst! I guess I’m still figuring out Inlay veneers/relatedmaterials. The Robert Lang book of Stickley inlays incorporates a lot of metal silver, copper etc. and the inlays and I can’t yet figure out how you’re supposed to do that or what kind of metal stockYou’re supposed to order. Maybe next time around I’ll give it a try.

Best, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Ken. Starting with a simpler stick type chair would’ve been a much better way to go. Not sure I love trying to figure out all the irregular angle joinery with chairs. Hopefully I’ll get better with time.

Also appreciate the suggestion about Dave spokeshaves. I will definitely check it out.

Are you going to be around for summer in the desert are you on the road?

Best, Mike
    Mike,

I love the way you just go for it, and then stick the dismount like you have been doing it for years (I was once married to a gymnast ).

We leave for Oregon on the 24th or 25th and will stay thru Oct. MsBubba already thinks she is dying from the heat and we haven't been over 97F. One of the costs of retirement will be no more summers in Tucson.

ken