Thread: Using my Stanley No. 61 Folding Rule

Using my Stanley No. 61 Folding Rule

Been playing around with the Stanley No. 61 folding rule and the chart that somebody
    here posted a link to. First thing that was noticed is the partial inches are decimal.
    Would a carpenter back in the day have even had a decimal rule? Or was this more
    likely an “eyeball” measurement?
    One thing that I have worked on a little bit over the years is writing VB6 programs
    mainly to help me do calcs for survey drafting. But some of the routines can used in the
    woodchuck shop. I have had one program that converts fractional inches into decimal on
    my desktop for some time.
    When looking at that chart of angles and distances it occurred to me go back into that program
    and add decimal to fractional capability. With some “now how do I dimension a variable”
    etc. this was accomplished.
    Don’t know how much the No. 61 rule will be used to layout angles; just fun to learn some about
    yet another part of the immense range of tools/devices that have come down through time.
    Besides, am still trying to carefully clean the 61 up so it can be more easily read.

Mike, somehow I missed that link you mentioned, can you share it here? It might help the continuity of this thread too.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Mr. Jim
    If I remember correctly Jim Koepke was the one who posted
    that info. It has been sometime since then (the time it took me to find a 2' rule)
    Just did a quick search/s (on SMC and Google) and didn't find it. Gotta get to work.
    If Jim K. sees this, he will bail us out.

Blog Entries
    Not sure about a link… Do recall posting this:

Stanley Rule Protractor Angles & Distance.jpg

It was in the back of a Stanley tool catalog.

It was saved as a .png so it was likely something online that now has gone missing.

Despite what people say, somethings on the internet do not last forever.

Searching > Stanley tool catalog.pdf < found this > https://archive.org/details/StanleyT.../n141/mode/2up < page 141 of the pdf (139 of the catalog). So it is still online, it is just an earlier catalog.

Highland Hardware is offering a reprint for sale > https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...ogue-no34.aspx <

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-20-2021 at 9:31 AM. Reason: Highland Hardware is offering
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)