Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High knob on Stanley Bailey bench planes?

High knob on Stanley Bailey bench planes?

I have a Stanley Bailey No 4 plane type 13. This was the first instance of the Stanley changing from the low knob to the high knob. The high knob for this plane has vertical cracks from the bottom and is now missing pieces there at the base. I need to replace it. I know I could use a low knob but I'm curious about a high knob replacement. Type 13 doesn't have the raised rib base for the knob which started with type 14. Is there a difference in the type 13 high knobs from those that followed with type 14 and beyond? Am I looking for specifically a type 13 high knob or just any Bailey No 4 high knob? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    The high knobs were used on some of the late type 11 through type 13 planes.

They are a different knob than the type 14 and later knobs. These knobs were made to fit inside the ring and not have all the force against the base of the knob.

Visit > http://www.rexmill.com/planes101/typing/typing.htm < scroll down to type 13 & 14. The type 13 knob has vertical sides at the bottom of the knob. The type 14 have a slight angle to fit into the ring.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thank you Jim! Are you aware of any reason why a No 4 low knob be an issue? Given that the high knob pre-ring (late type 11 thru type 13) may be scarce and thus more expensive, if the body wasn't changed (the high point receiver for the knob screw) for the early high knob then the low should be fine. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    The only issue to my knowledge is the bolt holding the low knob and high knob are different lengths.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Of course. Thanks Jim.

Blog Entries
    Glad to be of assistance.

jtk

I guess I do not understand what seems to go on with Stanley Bailey planes. The first thing that is asked or considered is what type is it and are the parts original to the plane. We are talking about a plane, that even at auction around here, won't bring over $20. I mean most people spend well over $20 on incidentals like pop, coffer at Storbeck's. or what ever and never give it a thought. So my question is what difference does it make as to what front knob it has. A front knob made for a plane that has the circle will fit and work on an earlier plane. Put on a different front knob and get on with your life. Here in Nashua Iowa a golf cart will get you anywhere you wish to go in the same time as it would take in a Cadillac Escalade.

I guess my point is, the only reason for a planes existences is to remove wood and if it can't do that then it is worthless. And a LN plane with a bull blade is just as worthless as a Hardware Hank plane with a dull blade. And a plane with a missing front knob no mater what type also fits in that category

I bought a Wards Master #7 a while back for 2 dollars at a yard sale . Do you thing I ever considered it the front Knob was correct of that model of plane. And by the way a frog from a a Bailey interchanges with the Wards plane.

If you wish tp pay shipping I will send you 5 or 6 front knob that will work for free.
    Tom

Do you feel better now Tom? :0)

yes I do. It feels great to say that the sacred cow of plane types isn't important to at least one woodworker.
    Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    yes I do. It feels great to say that the sacred cow of plane types isn't important to at least one woodworker.
    Many of my planes could be considered Frankenplanes due to mixed type parts.

For me a short knob is preferred. They have been used on all but a couple of my type 12 and later planes.

The large adjuster wheel is also preferred. Most of my type 7 through 11 have the larger wheel.

Part of knowing about the various types is knowing which parts will mix well and which will not.

jtk

Hmmmm, maybe this tall knob is a bit......much..
    3 Store Rust Hunt, wrong knob.JPG
    And...they wanted $8 for the plane, including the knob....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    3 Store Rust Hunt, wrong knob.JPG
    That could be a legendary "rare type" "one of a kind" worth hundreds if not thousands to someone on ebay.

jtk

I have some of both, and I can say that it's not something that I have ever thought about. I don't even remember which ones have the low knob, and which ones have the high knob. Maybe for someone who does a lot more planing than me, it might matter. Sorry, but I can't tell you what Type number any of my planes are either. They all work good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    Good. I do understand your position and agree they are meant to be used. If someone else derives pleasure from using their Stanley or Sargeant or Clifton planes with era correct parts or likes painting their vises pink then good for them. If they want to let them sit on a shelf and they get their pleasure in just knowing they have them then good for them. YMMV and that's okay too.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Steven, I'd call that a steering wheel! ;0)